AUA 2019 Meeting in Chicago

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

AUA 2019 Meeting in Chicago

Post by webslave »

I usually post all the interesting abstracts here, but this year I could not find much to tell you about, except for one interesting study. You can check all the abstracts here yourself: http://www.aua2019.org/abstracts

The one I found interesting is this one:
Pain Profile Discovery In Urologic Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome (Ucpps): Consensus Clustering Findings From The Mapp Research Network

INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVES:
Defining clinically relevant patient phenotypes with differential outcomes is essential for advancement of precision medicine approaches to UCPPS treatment. We performed consensus clustering (CC) using Brief Pain Inventory (BPI) body map data collected in the MAPP Research Network Epidemiology and Phenotyping Study (EPS).

METHODS:
Baseline body map data from 424 participants (233 women; 191 men) with UCPPS (i.e., interstitial cystitis/ bladder pain syndrome or chronic prostatitis/ chronic pelvic pain syndrome) in the MAPP EPS were analyzed using CC. Item clusters of 45 body map sites were utilized to generate patient clusters with distinctly different pain profiles.

RESULTS:
At baseline, the most commonly reported body sites with pain were the pelvis (85%), lower back (39%), lower abdomen (33%), front of the head (27%) and back of the neck (22%) (Fig 1). Using 1,000 replications of k-means within CC, K=4 clusters emerged (Fig 2). Cluster 1 patients (n=108) reported only pelvic region pain (PP). Cluster 2 patients (n=140) reported PP, minimal sites beyond PP, but 0% endorsed lower back pain. Cluster 3 patients (n=134) reported PP, minimal sites beyond PP, but 100% endorsed lower back pain. Cluster 4 patients (n=42) reported PP & widespread pain beyond PP. Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions (IBS, FM, CFS, Migraine, TMJ) ranged from 30% (Cluster 1) to 91% (Cluster 4). Furthermore, Cluster 1 (PP only) patients were twice as likely to improve (p<0.01) in severity of non-urological pain, compared to Cluster 2-4 patients.

CONCLUSIONS:
These results hold great promise for scaling CC methods to expanded symptom domains to produce stable clusters that shed new insights into UCPPS patient subtypes.
aua2019-1.jpg
aua2019-1.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 320 times
aua2019-2.png
aua2019-2.png (28.91 KiB) Viewed 320 times
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
HateCPPS
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Re: AUA 2019 Meeting in Chicago

Post by HateCPPS »

It's good to know that transgender surgery takes more importance over prostatitis.
Age: 25 | Onset Age: 21 | Symptoms: Pain in perineum area, bad ED, slower stream, loss of libido, | Helped By: Uroxatral, Heavy Doses of NSAIDs, Really Hot Baths/Sauna | Worsened By: Sex, Masturbation, Spicy Foods, biking, certain exercises, sudafed| Other comments: Mine started in a time after copious amounts of sex, I also held in ejaculation for a long long time after a sex break which may have contributed. Also went from protected to unprotected sex around this same time, but all tests show no bacteria. I do not have urgency issues.
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

HateCPPS wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:37 am It's good to know that transgender surgery takes more importance over prostatitis.
Interesting that you say that! My insurance kept trying to deny me PT, but PT for pelvic pain was being denied at the instruction of my employer, and not so much the insurance company. However my employer will pay for a sex change operation. So the last time we were fighting over additional PT visits, I brought this up. I asked - " So you don't care to treat my pelvic pain issues, but you'll chop everything down there out! Correct?" The hired gun Doctor of the Insurance company got real quiet and didn't know what to say. So I said (jokingly of course) - "Would you like to pay for my PT or a sex change? Maybe if I get rid of everything down there, my problems might go away?"

I kid you not, I got 7 more PT visits.

Admin comment: Good negotiator! The art of the deal .... :)
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
HateCPPS
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by HateCPPS »

Hah, its a pretty twisted world we live in. I too have been told that my insurance does not cover “maintenance” PT. Since I’m about 6 years strong with CCPS and doing years of PT....My PT is being considered maintenance now as I’m not on a clear progression to being cured by the PT.
Age: 25 | Onset Age: 21 | Symptoms: Pain in perineum area, bad ED, slower stream, loss of libido, | Helped By: Uroxatral, Heavy Doses of NSAIDs, Really Hot Baths/Sauna | Worsened By: Sex, Masturbation, Spicy Foods, biking, certain exercises, sudafed| Other comments: Mine started in a time after copious amounts of sex, I also held in ejaculation for a long long time after a sex break which may have contributed. Also went from protected to unprotected sex around this same time, but all tests show no bacteria. I do not have urgency issues.