Pelvic Floor Electromyography in Men with CPPS

Latest research and happenings
MastCells
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Pelvic Floor Electromyography in Men with CPPS

Post by MastCells »

Neurourol Urodyn. 2005 Sep 15

Pelvic floor electromyography in men with chronic pelvic pain syndrome: A case-control study.

Hetrick DC, Glazer H, Liu YW, Turner JA, Frest M, Berger RE.

Department of Urology, Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle Washington.

AIMS: The objectives of this study were (1) to identify differences between men with chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS), compared with pain-free men, in surface electromyography/biofeedback (sEMG/BFB) readings of pelvic floor muscles and (2) to determine which pelvic floor muscle sEMG readings may have differential diagnostic and treatment selection value by accurately predicting group membership, CPPS versus normal. METHODS: Twenty-one men with CPPS and 21 healthy men without pelvic pain underwent a standardized sEMG examination by a licensed physical therapist. RESULTS: On group difference measures men with CPPS showed significantly greater sEMG instability in preliminary resting baseline. Three sEMG measures reliably categorized CPPS versus normals with CPPS showing greater preliminary resting baseline hypertonicity and instability with lowered voluntary endurance contraction amplitude. CONCLUSIONS: CPPS patients manifest pelvic floor muscle instability compared to normals. Prebaseline resting hypertonicity and instability along with endurance contraction weakness reliably predicts subject membership in the CPPS vs. normal group. Pelvic floor muscle sEMG may be a valuable screening tool to identify patients with CPPS who may benefit from therapies aimed at correcting pelvic floor muscle dysfunction. Neurourol. Urdynam. (c) 2005 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 16167354 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
This is not medical advice. Please consult your physician.
h92
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by h92 »

Great find. Thanks a lot.
Age: 31 Location: France Symptoms: right epididymis pain, testicular soreness and pain, pain after ejaculation, gulf ball in rectum (now gone), pain at tip of penis (now gone), bent penis when in pain (not Peyronie's), burning after ejaculation, weird right testicular positions, big and painful lymph nodes (now gone). Makes worse: sex, tiredness, anxiety, cold Makes better: hot climate, stretches.
LightningTree
Sage
Sage

Post by LightningTree »

That has been my experience with rectal biofeedback. During the first few minutes of biofeedback, my resting value jumps up and down, spasming a bit. After a few minutes of relax/contract cycles, I can go straight to my baseline. Yet my baseline is still too high. It's really interesting to see that this appears to be a kind of signature sign.

The way my PT puts it is that my mind has to consistantly relearn how to relax the muscles efficiently, as they tend to want to stay in the contracted state (hypertonic response.)

Now what we need are studies to corroborate or refute this study. That would be excellent.

This is not medical advice, and I am NOT a doctor of medicine or a related field.
* 99.9% IMPROVEMENT in 2.5 Years with the first year being the really hard part
* Current Symptoms: Mild irritation of perineal muscles on occasion. Relieved for days at a time by a specific stretch (see below).
* Initial Symptoms: Terrible penile, urethral, rectal, and perineal burning/aching with addition afferent sensations.
* Current Treatments: Deep stretching of the legs and pelvis. Most effective: Deep psoas and levitar ani stretch using the first phase of the "pigeon pose" from Yoga. When a deep pulling is felt in the middle of the pelvis next to the upper rectum, symptoms are completely alleviated for several days.
* Past Treatments Hyperprotection of the perineum for 1.7 years, Walking, Rectal biofeedback, Stanford/Wise-Anderson Protocol, Conditioned deep relaxation practice, Men's Multi-Vitamin and an Extra B-complex pill, all seemed to help.