Sacral Pulsed Radiofrequency

Latest research and happenings
Wolfcub
Experienced
Experienced

Sacral Pulsed Radiofrequency

Post by Wolfcub »

Could it be a new promise for us? Further research is needed.
Maintenance of the Response to Sacral Pulsed Radiofrequency in Chronic Prostatitis/Pelvic Pain Syndrome using Hyperbaric Oxygen

Gallego-Vilar D*, Cuñat Albert E and Gallego-Gomez J
Departament of Urology, Hospital General Universitario de Castellon, Castellon de la Plana, Valencia, Spain

Introduction: None of treatments reported for chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) has shown considerable improvement in patient's daily life. Our objective is to determine the efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) in the maintenance of response after sacral pulsed radiofrequency (PRF) in patients with CP/CPPS.

Material and methods: Prospective, comparative study including men with CP/CPPS divided in group A: S2-S4 PRF; and group B: S2-S4 PRF+HBO. The evaluated variables were pain (through the visual analog scale, VAS), and quality of life using the The NIH Chronic Prostatitis Symptom Index (CPSI) at 0, 1, 3, 6 and 12 months-follow up. Responders were predefined as patients who had experienced a more than 50% of decrease in the total NIH- CPSI score and more than 50% improvement in different areas of KHQ.

Results: 24 patients met the inclusion/exclusion criteria (17 Group A; 7 Group B). A significant maintenance of improvement (p<0. 05) for pain subscore, urinary subscore, quality of life subscore, total NIH-CPSI score and all the areas of KHQ was noticed in Group B after 18 months follow-up. No adverse effects were reported

Conclusions: In this study, HBO improved the maintenance of the beneficial effects of sacral PRF among men with CP/CPPS.
Original Source: Gallego-Vilar et al., J Pain Relief 2014, 3:1
http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2167-0846.1000131

http://www.omicsgroup.org/journals/main ... 000131.pdf
Age: 30 | Onset Age: 19| Symptoms: Urinary frequency, Urinary urgency, constant 24/7 sensation in the penis (in the tip mainly - burning/pressure/discomfort/"wetness"), Nocturia, discomfort and pressure in the pelvic region radiating to the abdomen and becoming severe as time passes since last urination (resolved in 2014 by myofascial release), Stream velocity is somewhat slow and prolonged with an average velocity of ~13cc/min (and max 18cc/min) found in flowmetry test when bladder is filled with 500cc at age 25 (I always feel like I need to press my abdomen to urinate, improved later on when using alpha blockers)| Helped By: especially MYOFASCIAL RELEASE (especially in the areas of hips and abdomen) - generally resolved my abdominal aches, but penile symptoms remained the same| Worsened By: Coffee and possibly some other food as well| Other comments: Quercetin and acupuncture helped me no more than a placebo effect. Age 25-26: Diagnosed with indirect inguinal hernia and medium hydrocele at the same side. After operation many of the acute symptoms disappeared, but the chronic urinary and pelvic symptoms remained much the same.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Sacral Pulsed Radiofrequency

Post by webslave »

Search the Research subforum forum for the term "sacral" and you'll see a lot of discussion of this topic (usually referred to as "sacral neuromodulation").
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it