The Stress-Disease Connection

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Dr. Gabor Maté talks about the inseparable interrelationship between our hormonal, immune, and neurological systems, and the scientifically indisputable role that emotions and stress play in overall health.
http://www.grinningplanet.com/3002/demo ... ection.mp3
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Sherradin
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The Stress-Disease Connection

Post by Sherradin »

What a good discussion. This is why CBT through pain clinics can be the best thing. Talking therapy can sort out things that have upset you for so long that you didn't realise were a part of the fabric of your pain...because you contract to protect yourself. He is right you have to take a holistic approach and consider your history and make up and how it may contribute to how you cope now. Keep meditating and read Full Catastrophie Living by Jon Kabbit Zinn but also consider what Sarno suggests..but you have to decide where you fit.
CPP since 2005. Prior to CPP always overly fit and active. I am female. Had two natural births: singleton 1998 and twins 2000. 2002 emergency back surgery - L5S1 herniation. Then recurring UTIs. Usual antibiotic overload. Then constant debilitating burning bladder and reaction to many foods. Australian Pain Clinic 2007. Turning point was Dec 2009 Attended Wise Clinic in Santa Rosa USA.
Was helped by strict diet but now eating normally after years of restricted diet - wonderful. Helped by: stretching,relaxation, yoga, trigger point, warm baths. Worsened by: stress, sitting, abdominal or glute exercises and salicylates
Medication: Now off all pain clinic meds no more Endone or Elavil only Lyrica 50 mg as Dec 2010 just reherniated L5S1disc and had discectomy. Its taken years but I feel I am over it.
DMcU
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMcU »

Hi Sheridan,

It's nice to get a female point of view as well on the forum! When you say you have pain in the bladder, is this a constant pain or is it just post-voiding pain or pain that makes you feel you need to pass urine? I get pain in the bladder as it fills, but I feel that it can't hold as much as it used to, and that spasms in the perineum start causing me to urgently need to urinate. When I do, I feel a burning in the bladder as I urinate and for a few seconds after it. Would this be similar to what you have?

Thanks.
Age: 25 Onset: 23. | Symptoms: Burning in urethra, urinary frequency/urgency, 'golf ball' in butt syndrome, muscle tension form pelvis to calves, constipation, IBS, testicular pain/inflam, bladder pain when nearly full, difficulty relaxing muscles (coccygeal, levator ani etc.), pain and muscles tension in anus/perineum. Helped by: quercetin, relaxation, baths, heat packs applied to perineum. Worsened by: Stress, driving, sitting, jogging, caffeine etc.
Sherradin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Sherradin »

Over the years the pain has changed which is because I think it combines bladder nerve pain and pelvic muscle pain from clenching as I used to get burning only after I went so I avoided going and that made the whole thing worse. I have pain in the bladder as I have had my bladder filled with anesthetic and been pain free..but I still get burning as well in the muscles around the bladder or referring to the bladder as I have have Tim Sawyer press abdominal muscles and recreate the same burning around/at the bladder. I think the whole are became sensitised. I just don't know if it was neuromuscular wind-up first or a food intolerance in my bladder from UTIs. Either way the only thing that seems to be really making a difference is calming the nervous system through diet (not irritating the bladder nerves), stretching (unwinding the chronic contraction in the pelvis constricting the nerves there) and meditation to calm anxiety and exercise for same. When I was bad I had constant screaming pain that did not end and I had trouble when my bladder filled. It first started with the occasional burn after I urinated and evolved into chronic pain as I freaked out more and more and was told it was incurable etc etc...now I understand it and I know what to do if I keep my anxiety under control I am improving little by little. Dont ignore the warning signs start stretching and get some PT. I have been getting fortnightly 2.5 hour deep trigger point work on abs, butt, thighs and after every session I am that mush better and I have also become a yoga fanatic. And today I noticed three guys at the class and two of them had to take a break half way through to go to the bathroom...at this end of things that is funny..this is so common.
CPP since 2005. Prior to CPP always overly fit and active. I am female. Had two natural births: singleton 1998 and twins 2000. 2002 emergency back surgery - L5S1 herniation. Then recurring UTIs. Usual antibiotic overload. Then constant debilitating burning bladder and reaction to many foods. Australian Pain Clinic 2007. Turning point was Dec 2009 Attended Wise Clinic in Santa Rosa USA.
Was helped by strict diet but now eating normally after years of restricted diet - wonderful. Helped by: stretching,relaxation, yoga, trigger point, warm baths. Worsened by: stress, sitting, abdominal or glute exercises and salicylates
Medication: Now off all pain clinic meds no more Endone or Elavil only Lyrica 50 mg as Dec 2010 just reherniated L5S1disc and had discectomy. Its taken years but I feel I am over it.
DMcU
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMcU »

I too am a fan of yoga, and practice it at home with meditation music playing - fantastic way of both relaxing and releasing muscle tension. I did a lot of work on my ab muscles lately and some of the trigger points are so hard to remove, some are still there after months of trying. They don't seem to refer pain, though. But I do find that the ab muscles running down the centre of my abdomen in line with my navel, are tense and when I massage these that they seem to start the spasms in my perineum and also I feel in the bladder that I have to pass urine. Now this could be that there was urine in the bladder, I'm sure there was some anyway, but still, these ab muscles are stubborn to release and make smooth again.
Like you, I find that work on the butt, abs and thighs is very beneficial and these seem to be recurringly tense.
Sounds like a neuronal windup and aggravation with all the muscles playing a part too. But you're improving little by little and that's the main thing!
Age: 25 Onset: 23. | Symptoms: Burning in urethra, urinary frequency/urgency, 'golf ball' in butt syndrome, muscle tension form pelvis to calves, constipation, IBS, testicular pain/inflam, bladder pain when nearly full, difficulty relaxing muscles (coccygeal, levator ani etc.), pain and muscles tension in anus/perineum. Helped by: quercetin, relaxation, baths, heat packs applied to perineum. Worsened by: Stress, driving, sitting, jogging, caffeine etc.
d_man
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by d_man »

DMCU,

I found deep breathing in the squat position has helped. I don't know if you have bad knees or not (not good if you have bad knees). But if you go up back against a wall, squat down legs together and wrap your arms around like if you were a ball (head down like to your knees). Then slowly breathing in expanding your stomach, then slowly out, then holding 5 secs. I do this a few times a day, like a min or two at a time. It really works your diaphragm and stretches abs. It's an exercise my PT gave me, and I notice when I do it, my rectum drops because of the pressure you are putting on your stomach while in that position. Give it a go.
33 M. Healthy Diagnosed Jan 11, 2010. 28 Days Cipro. Main prob was 24/4 Penis burn on right side of shaft and some pain between scrotum and anus. Peeing like an old man. Did a week of Broccoli treatment, and Aleve (naproxen) and now started as of Feb 18, 2010 Prosta-Q, D-Mannose and waiting for my Swedish flower pollen.
DMcU
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DMcU »

Fantastic ! Thanks d_man! I already do the squat but what you recommend is definitely a great way of relaxing and stretching as well. I will definitely try it! The PT's in Ireland really don't have a clue about this condition so it's the people on this forum that are helping each other get better, the patient has become the doctor!!