My PT does the internal but has a MT do the External

Scammer alerts, reviews!
atma
Beginner
Beginner

My PT does the internal but has a MT do the External

Post by atma »

As I read your posts about visiting your PT, it sounds like they perform all the work, internal and external. Now I know rule #1 is not all PTs are created equal. But my PT performs the internal work in which no tools are used (i.e. not deep enough). But has a massage therapist come in to perform the external work.

My two questions are:

1. Is this a common experience for a PT to bring in a massage therapist for the external work?
2. Do any of your PTs use tools?

I plan on asking my PT about the use of tools but my problem is most of my pain is in the legs (thigh, inner thigh, groin area) and lower abdominal area. With self treatment internally, I have not been able to duplicate the burning pain that I experience throughout the day. The pain in the scrotum and perineum has subsided over time and is minor compared to the other pain.

Thanks,
ATMA
Age: 37 | Onset Age: 36 From: TX | Symptoms: Tingling, burning, aching, piercing pain in the thighs, scrotum, perineum, abs, and waistline. Insomnia and Constipation on an occasion. | Helped By: (Initially)Ice, Cardio. (NOW)Baclofen, Phenibut, Magnesium | Worsened By: Stress. Unsure if diet affects my condition.
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: My PT does the internal but has a MT do the External

Post by Jay »

Hi,

I'll address your questions in turn, just going from my personal experiences and those that I've read.

1. I wouldn't call it common for a specialized PT to have a massage therapist do the external. In my case, my PT did both aspects of the work, including my abdomen and legs (where I, like you, had a lot of problems). Now, whether or not this is a bad situation really depends upon the specifics. Does the massage therapist understand your case/CPPS? Is she doing trigger point work? I don't believe a general relaxing massage is what you're wanting, since trigger point release - even externally - requires a bit of hunting and then some constant pressure.

2. My therapist did not use tools on me herself (beyond some rectal e-stim we did in the office), but she did promote their use in my self-treatment. She actually gave me some thin vaginal dilators to practice with, so that I could get the idea of doing internal work prior to buying some specialized tool. I also use a Theracane for external stuff, which she thought was a fine idea.
I am not a physician. This is not medical advice. Consult your doctor!

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.
atma
Beginner
Beginner

Re: My PT does the internal but has a MT do the External

Post by atma »

Thanks Jay....

Since this is my first PT/MT that I have been too, I guess I need a sample size to compare her trigger point work. She is aware of my CPPS. Her and the PT do share my file but they are never in the room at the same time. Maybe I will re-visit youtube and look at some of the trigger point videos. I think in my case, sometimes it feels like "get them in, get them out" attitude. They are sweet people, but......my sessions range from 30 minutes to 50 minutes. I think when they are busy, they tend to cut the therapy short.

Based on the feedback from this forum, I tried the wand and became pretty good at it. I am thinking about trying higher up to relieve maybe some ab trigger points which may require a new tool... perhaps the slender purple one. I know neueo1(sp????) talks about 7 or 8 inches up..... but I am not too sure about that.

If all else fails, I will be ready for prison. :icon_smile_lachuh:

Thanks,
ATMA
Age: 37 | Onset Age: 36 From: TX | Symptoms: Tingling, burning, aching, piercing pain in the thighs, scrotum, perineum, abs, and waistline. Insomnia and Constipation on an occasion. | Helped By: (Initially)Ice, Cardio. (NOW)Baclofen, Phenibut, Magnesium | Worsened By: Stress. Unsure if diet affects my condition.