A Headache in the Pelvis, case history #5

Tell us about how you are beating this
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 9670
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:18 pm
Location: Please give your location so we can help better

A Headache in the Pelvis, case history #5

Post by webslave » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:40 am

From Dr Wise, a patient's history, with permission ...
Patient Report after 5 years of doing the Stanford/Wise-Anderson Protocol

In late September of 1997, two years after retiring, I started having problems with urination. Some brownish colored "sediment" started showing up at the end of urination and then pelvic pain started. My pain was in the rectum and prostate areas. When I woke up in the morning there was generally no pain, but it built up during the day and was worst in the evenings. My Internist prescribed an antibiotic and referred me to a Urologist. The Urologist prescribed traditional treatment for prostate infection including antibiotic and ibuprofen. After six weeks of treatment virtually no progress was made. I observed during this period that pain killers provided no relief but muscle relaxants did help. Naps on the floor were the only other thing that seemed to help.

The symptoms were ruining my life and at times I was depressed. I was losing weight and there didn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

A close friend got me an appointment in mid December 1997 with Dr. Tom Stamey, the pioneer of urology who was still at Stanford. Dr. Stamey determined in one hour that I had no evidence of infection in the prostate gland and referred me to Dr. Anderson and Dr. Wise. I had no idea what form of treatment they would provide.

Dr. Anderson had me see a physical therapist who specialized in myofascial pelvic floor muscle pain relief. He relieved "trigger points" in various pelvic floor muscles and even taught the procedure to my wife who happens to also be a PT. I bought medical textbooks on myofascial pain and read extensively about the subject.

Dr. Wise started to teach me Paradoxical Relaxation. Gradually I started to make progress. One of the difficulties is that progress is an up and down process. I remember several times getting discouraged and phoning Dr. Wise. His calm, steady, reassurance was very helpful. One day, a few months after starting his therapy I asked him how long it would take to perfect his technique. He hesitated for a while but finally said "about two years".

After two months I had made enough progress to know that things were on the right track. Oddly, knowing it might take two years was encouraging as I knew what to expect and not to think that I would be all cured in a month. My progress steadily got better and after a year I was 80% better. After two years I felt like I had reduced my symptoms by 90%.

It is now about five years since I first started treatment with Drs. Anderson & Wise. I feel that my symptoms are 99% gone but more important I know how to deal with symptoms if they occur. Happily, I seldom think about the problem any more.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest