Review: Netherlands Clinic

Scammer alerts, reviews!
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Review: Netherlands Clinic

Post by critthinker »

Hi everyone,

I visited the F-Act Pelvic Pain Clinic (http://www.allesoversms.nl/joomla2/index.php/english) last week in Enkhuizen, The Netherlands and wanted to post a review of my experience.

First, I have seen Tim Sawyer many times in the Bay Area but have never visited the W-A clinic primarily because of cost and time commitment required. I was traveling abroad and so I thought I would stop in The Netherlands on my way back home to the U.S.

I arrived in The Netherlands at Amsterdam Schiphol International Airport and found it was incredibly easy to get to Enkhuizen. From the airport I just took two trains to get to the town (it only took about an hour and 15 min). Once in town, the clinic was only a 7 min drive from the rail station. Fetske is the owner of the clinic and one of the preeminent pelvic pain PTs in Europe (and the world, it seems). She was thorough, patient and very kind. She examined me, mapped my TrPs and then instructed me in the use of the wand.

Let me know if you have any questions!

EDIT: I wanted to add some thoughts on the wand. I think this is an ingenious invention. It targets the areas that are most difficult to reach manually, like the anterior levator ani and the posterior levator ani. It's really easy to use and I'm actually finding that the nitrile ball tip is helpful to use to dissolve general tension in the sphincter.
Last edited by critthinker on Sat May 12, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 26 | Symptoms: Pelvic pain (began w/ introduction into bladder/prostate of highly resistant strain of bacteria that was acquired via a Botox injection intended to treat levator ani syndrome) | Helped By: Paxil for anxiety, Trigger point release and trigger point injections, stretches, hot baths, Prosta-Q | Worsened By: Stress/anxiety, Sitting down for long periods,
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Review: Netherlands Clinic

Post by webslave »

Thanks for the report, critthinker! :-D

Edit Oct 2014: Dr Wise has told me he no longer wishes to be associated with Fetske Hogen Esch and the F-Act Netherlands Clinic. I'm not sure of the reason, but thought readers should know.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
scotsman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by scotsman »

Yes, thanks for the report.

Did she map the external tp's as well? Did she instruct you in any stretching or external physio?

I agree re the wand - great bit of kit for hitting those deep spots around and past the prostate.
Not medical advice: Read my progress to date : Read about my W-A clinic visit

Age: 54 CPPS: 20 Yrs Recovery Status: 95% Symptoms: Pain around perineum Makes Worse: Tension, sitting Makes Better: Stretching, triggerpoint therapy, relaxation
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

Yes, she did the TrP mapping similar to Tim Sawyer. We didn't have a ton of time, so I asked her not to focus on external since I have a PT back here in the U.S. who is doing so.
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 26 | Symptoms: Pelvic pain (began w/ introduction into bladder/prostate of highly resistant strain of bacteria that was acquired via a Botox injection intended to treat levator ani syndrome) | Helped By: Paxil for anxiety, Trigger point release and trigger point injections, stretches, hot baths, Prosta-Q | Worsened By: Stress/anxiety, Sitting down for long periods,
RichieRich
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RichieRich »

Hi, just wondering how much it cost. And did u get the wand as part of the total price? Thx.
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

Total price was 600 Euro, which included the wand and the video player. Then there's the fee Fetske charges, which is 500 Euro for her time. I think going to this clinic instead of the one in California only makes sense if you 1) don't live in the U.S. and/or 2) feel strongly that you are well-versed enough in the protocol that you wouldn't benefit tremendously from attending the California clinic (as opposed to the Netherlands one).
RichieRich
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RichieRich »

Thx for your reply Critthinker. I'm not sure what to do for the best. I live in the UK, so the Netherlands would obviously be easier (and cheaper). I wouldn't say I am well versed in the protocol at all, and don't know how to do paradoxical relaxation etc. My symptoms are almost totally as a result of defecation. For example when I wake up in the morning I don't feel to bad, but at the point in the day which I defecate my symptoms go through the roof, and I am at maximum discomfort for the rest of the day. I've read in a few places that internal massage can be really successful for post bowel movement symptoms, so I'm wondering weather the Netherlands clinic combined with the wand would be enough for me. Alternatively I'm thinking it might be worth just going to the one in California first, instead of possibly having to pay for both if the Netherlands clinic isn't a complete enough treatment. What would your advice be? Also how much time did you get for the 500 Euro?
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

It's three hours of time with Fetske. She's wonderful, and she'll keep in touch with you and answer any questions you might have. I think this is a tough decision for you that will mostly come down to how important financial considerations are. You have airfare, W-A clinic costs, ground transportation, etc. I think you should consider the W-A clinic. I had visited Tim Sawyer many times prior to seeing Fetske, so I was already pretty familiar with internal work.

Have you tried switching to squatting posture while defecating? And have you increased your water intake?
RichieRich
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RichieRich »

Never considered water intake, but I do drink a lot of water and juices in general. Have sort of tried squatting. That's called biofeedback right? Finance doesn't really matter, not that I've got much money, but I would spend every penny I have if it meant I got better. Dunno what to do :(
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

RichieRich, that sounds like proctalgia fugax. Have you tried putting a heating pad or hot water bottle on the area after defecation?
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

No, biofeedback is totally different from squatting. Here's an image of squatting:

http://www.gotweird.com/wp-content/uplo ... tsquat.jpg
RichieRich
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RichieRich »

Thanks for your replies guys. Webslave I'm not sure if its that, have sort of tried heat but hasn't seemed to make any difference (baths etc). Also I get it literally every time, and it lasts all day. Spoke to David Wise and he didn't mention that, I think its just due to pelvic floor dysfunction and the muscles not working correctly. I'll try the hot water bottle thing though to see if it does any good.

Critthinker I've sort of tried squatting, by using a stool to raise my legs and knees, and didn't make any difference, but I'll try it.
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

You have to do it consistently for at least a month or two to expect to notice any difference.

Also, do you feel pain ON bowel movements or just after? Trying to figure out if you should be drinking more water, eating more fiber.
RichieRich
Beginner
Beginner

Post by RichieRich »

Mainly after. I'm almost certain its not down to fiber or water.