Beware of Dr. Jerome Weiss

Scammer alerts, reviews!
Rockwell55

Beware of Dr. Jerome Weiss

Post by Rockwell55 »

My Story: Beware of Dr. Jerome Weiss

For those of you sitting on the fence and considering visiting the office of Dr. Weiss – He who uses cortisone injections -- my advice is to stay away; far away. I am now a 53 year-old man. I awoke one morning in July 2005 with tightness in my rectum that caused me constipation and unfortunately a sexual dysfunction that caused weaker ejaculations and more difficulty in getting erections. However, once I became erect I maintained the erection and the erection was full and hard. Still I looked for answers to get myself back to the way I used to be. I tried invasive physical therapy with biofeedback, Bowen therapy, acupuncture, and massage therapy. Then in early 2008 I visited Dr. Jerome Weiss’s website and thought he may be the answer. I went to his office in January 208 and at that time I was evaluated and received invasive physical therapy from him for the tightness in my rectum and trigger point injections in the gluteus maximus. I made a repeat visit in March 2008 where I received physical therapy and manual therapy from Dr. Weiss along with trigger point injections in the gluteus maximus. I went back in April 2008 and received more invasive therapy from Dr. Weiss and then was prescribed an ointment/compound of Nifedpine 0.3% 30 grams. This prescription is specifically for anal fissures. I did not have anal fissures, but I had tight spasms and muscles inside the rectum that Dr, Weiss hoped would respond to the medication and relieve my spasms. I returned on June 4, 2008 and Dr. Weiss examined me internally in the rectal area to see if there was improvement. There were still spasms and soreness and trigger points in the connective tissue of my rectum and it was at that point in time while I was on the exam table that he said I had inflammation in the rectum and that an injection of cortisone would be the best course of treatment. We had never discussed using cortisone up to that point in time, but I made the mistake of trusting his judgment and agreed with this course of action. This is a decision I will regret for the rest of my life. Dr. Weiss injected me with 0.2 cc of Depo Medrol 40 mgs. Along with this I received 7 cc 0.5% Marcaine 2 cc 1% Lidocaine and 1 cc NaHCO3. During the injection Dr. Weiss had one hand inside my rectum to track the effect the cortisone injection was having on these rectal muscles. The impact of the injection was immediate and I felt relief and flexibility in the rectum where before I felt pain and spasms. Dr. Weiss wanted to know if I wanted him to inject more and I said no, I felt relief.

I left the office feeling good and he told me to come back in two weeks to see if I would benefit from another injection. Within 24 hours I noticed that I had more than relief in the rectum, I also had a lessening of sensation in my penis and my perineum; my perineum used to be very firm and tight upon arousal but was now weaker. My erections were also weak and more difficult to maintain. Nocturnal erections that had been very hard in the past, no longer occurred or were very mild. When I went back to Dr. Weiss’s office complaining about my problems he dismissed them as being anxiety related. When I told him of my complaint about my perineum he responded by asking me if my perineum had been tight. I told him -- No I did not have a tight perineum and that my complaint all along had to do with my rectal muscles. He said he injected me at only one site but admitted to directing the injection to the area of my perineum because he thought I said there was tightness there and went on to say that the injection of cortisone was so small that it could not cause such an effect that I described. Well 0.2 cc of Depo Medrol 40 mgs is equivalent to 8 mgs. The recommended dose for soft tissue is 2 to 10 mgs. So, I would not say that is a small amount and actually is a liberal amount when considering the injection site.

I filed a complaint with the California Medical Board but not surprisingly they supported him because when he suggested using cortisone for my condition Dr. Weiss received “…concurrence from you.” My mistake in trusting him. The Medical Consultant from the Board also stated “…anal tightness is not usually seen by most urologists nor are most urologists liable to inject multiple compounds into this area. However, Dr. Weiss states that he had done this hundreds of times with good success and he therefore administered this treatment.” So that makes it okay for him to do it anytime in the future? Hundreds of times with what gender of patients?

This has damaged me physically and emotionally, it has harmed my role not just as a husband but as a father as well. My children are 13 and 11 and they are not sure why Dad has depressed moods. My wife has been there for me 100% despite the struggles and tears. Unbeknownst to me, my wife went out of her way recently to write Dr. Weiss an email to tell him of the harm he caused to our family and wanted to seek another appointment to talk with him. He declined and recommended that we see Dr. Tom Lue a renowned urologist in San Francisco. I made an appointment with Dr. Lue and he admitted he could do nothing for me. We talked at length and I asked him if he ever performed injections at the site Dr. Weiss injected me and he said – No he never injected that area with cortisone. He went on to say that the men he sees complain about having a weak perineum not having a perineum that is too tight. Now I am one with a weak perineum. Over time there has also been loss of girth toward the glans of the penis, where it seems more tapered than it had before. I have noticed a tendency for it to be a lot smaller in girth in the flaccid and erect state. This may be a result of the penis not getting properly nourished from nocturnal erections.

Again, I know others may have had good experiences with Dr. Weiss, but my recommendation is to give him a wide berth.
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Beware of Dr. Jerome Weiss

Post by Jay »

Hi Rockwell,

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience, and of the difficulties you've been having.

Although I am a proponent of internal PT, I believe it should only be performed/taught by professional physical therapists with a specialized interest in the pelvic floor. The same goes with nerve blocks -- I'd rather get them from a pain management physician. In my opinion, a urologist is not the right person to see for either treatment.

I wish that I could offer you some guidance, but as a layman, my medical knowledge is lacking. You might consider calling Doctor Wise (of Headache in the Pelvis) and explaining your predicament. Perhaps he'll have some thoughts as to your symptoms and potential treatment. His clinic could be an option.
I am not a physician. This is not medical advice. Consult your doctor!

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I am very against invasive, surgical or semi-surgical treatments for our condition. This case is one more reason to say NO to injections, nerve injections and surgery such as PNE surgery.

It sounds as though he may have damaged the nerve that innervates the penis. Nerves can recover, but it can take a long time, so be patient. If you search the internet for "cortisone" and "nerve damage" you'll see that it can happen and the nerves can recover in a few years.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Rockwell55

Post by Rockwell55 »

Jay wrote:Hi Rockwell,

I'm sorry to hear of your negative experience, and of the difficulties you've been having.

Although I am a proponent of internal PT, I believe it should only be performed/taught by professional physical therapists with a specialized interest in the pelvic floor. The same goes with nerve blocks -- I'd rather get them from a pain management physician. In my opinion, a urologist is not the right person to see for either treatment.

I wish that I could offer you some guidance, but as a layman, my medical knowledge is lacking. You might consider calling Doctor Wise (of Headache in the Pelvis) and explaining your predicament. Perhaps he'll have some thoughts as to your symptoms and potential treatment. His clinic could be an option.
Thank you, I called Dr. Wise about a month ago and he referred me to Tim Sawyer for physical therapy. Tim examined me and said I would definitely be a candidate for the 6 day workshop/clinic that Dr. Wise and others do about once a month. Tim found trigger points in my stomach and others in the rectal area, some which referred pain to the penis, that I was unaware of. Would physical therpay to eliminate the referred pain to the penis help my erectile dysfunction? I am considering the 6 day workshop/clinic but I know it is pricey. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Rockwell55

Post by Rockwell55 »

webslave wrote:I am very against invasive, surgical or semi-surgical treatments for our condition. This case is one more reason to say NO to injections, nerve injections and surgery such as PNE surgery.

It sounds as though he may have damaged the nerve that innervates the penis. Nerves can recover, but it can take a long time, so be patient. If you search the internet for "cortisone" and "nerve damage" you'll see that it can happen and the nerves can recover in a few years.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Dr. Tom Lue suggested that my problem could very well be due to nerve damage. I'll do some internet searches as you suggest to see what other information I can find.
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by Jay »

Rockwell55 wrote:Would physical therapy to eliminate the referred pain to the penis help my erectile dysfunction? I am considering the 6 day workshop/clinic but I know it is pricey. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Hi,

If Tim Sawyer believes you are a candidate for the clinic, then I'd say there's a very good chance you would benefit from it. There are guys (myself included) who certainly do have referred penile pain as a result of muscular dysfunction. At the clinic, Tim would assist you with mapping your trigger points and self-treatment education. Doctor Wise, on the other hand, handles relaxation training.

This is a chronic condition, so 'eliminate' isn't really the appropriate word. By applying the proper treatment techniques, you can be completely asymptomatic, but there's always a chance that you could flare up again in times of physical irritation or mental stress. If that happens, though, you're equipped to deal with it.

As Webslave has said, and your doctor concurred, there is the potential for nerve damage in your case. It's possible that the needle glanced a nerve, or that you had a bad reaction to the solution injected. Most nerve blocks don't go quite that bad, but there's a chance.

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.
Rockwell55

Post by Rockwell55 »

Thanks Jay, I will reconsider going to the 6 day clinic.
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by Jay »

Hi there,

You're very welcome. If you are able to afford the clinic without any added financial stress, then I would absolutely encourage you to give it a shot.

Tim Sawyer is very well-respected, and he's been honest enough to admit that there's a subset of people he can't help. I don't believe he would refer you unless he had a good feeling about your chances of benefit.