Scammer alerts, reviews!
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Looking for a therapist in Australia

Post by webslave »

Tim Sawyer can be contacted through Dr Wise
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1252
He's the best PT for chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome patients in the world.

Australia is a backwater when it comes to CP/CPPS. You'll need to get to the USA for proper treatment, in my opinion. But Dr Wise may have some names for you, so contact him.

I'm not a PNE expert, in fact I think there is an element of scam attached to the whole concept. However, if the penis is ever numb and insensate, you are looking at some issue with the pudendal nerve.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Ausie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ausie »

hey thanks a lot for the advice webslave, the worlds best are the names I like to hear :-D now I just have to organise $$$$$$ some how ????

YOU are 110 % right when you say Australia is a backwater when it comes to pelvic pain
cam_05
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cam_05 »

Hey Ausie, welcome to the forum. I've been looking for PT's in Australia with not much luck unfortunately. I emailed Dr Wise a while ago who knew of no-one. The best clinics are in the US but if you want to exhaust your Aus options first then I would recommend calling the government owned continence foundation, they have a database with all the continence physio's out there. Also i have found one place in sydney that may be useful. They are called the sydney spine and pelvis physiotherapy centre.

Before you call anyone though, finish reading HITP and this website and make sure you are fully aware of the treatments they recommend. A lot of places will chime in and say they can fix you, but really don't know much about what they are talking about nor are they willing to massage all areas that are needed. A lot of the physio's listed from the continence foundation will mainly be treating the women after pregnancy and muscle re-training types, which aren't very helpful for us. The SSPP place claims success in treating pelvic pain sufferers but i havn't discussed with them their full treament plan. I need to get around to doing that, but $$$$ is an issue at my end too unfortunately.

Good luck in your treatment!!!
Age:24 | Onset Age:22 | Symptoms: Urgency and penile tip pain. Frequency at it worst. Reduced libido and functioning. | Helped By: Prostate massage. That's about it so far. Haven't thoroughly tried PT yet however. | Worsened By: Sitting. Perhaps stress and negative thoughts. Chiro, candida detox and standard treatments have not helped.
Ausie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ausie »

Hi cam_05
Thanks for your in put are you a Australian as well or just knowledgeable, I'm having trouble with medication knocking me around at the moment, so I can be a bit slow in understanding things, so bare with me, until the doctors get the medication right :62_58_40:
but I am very grateful with any information that you give me
all treatment is on hold until I get a EMG, I'm not sure if that will show anything ??
Ausie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ausie »

Hey cam _05 I was thinking, there is a PT in Sydney, Sharon Jarvis, I heard she is good ????
cam_05
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cam_05 »

Hey there Ausie I live in Sydney. Thanks for the contact. I definitely think you should wait for your results. In the meantime just focus on what has worked for you. and look into the relaxation section of the HITP book.

If heat pads have helped. look in sitz baths maybe. You don't need to go out and buy one. Just fill your bath with shallow hot water. And keep as much of your body out with the exception of your pelvis. I just hug my knees. Although if sitting makes it worse I'm not sure how this will go for you. . . . . . it's worth a try, if you sit like that you won't be putting pressure on your perineum so it may not be as painful.
Age:24 | Onset Age:22 | Symptoms: Urgency and penile tip pain. Frequency at it worst. Reduced libido and functioning. | Helped By: Prostate massage. That's about it so far. Haven't thoroughly tried PT yet however. | Worsened By: Sitting. Perhaps stress and negative thoughts. Chiro, candida detox and standard treatments have not helped.
Ausie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ausie »

I hope you got my PM cam_05
Now this has got me wondering how many Australian men who have chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome that can't find help at home ????
cam_05
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cam_05 »

Hey Ausie, I got your PM however i have not been able to source a contact number for the PT. Can you post it here or PM with one if you have it?

Cheers
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by Jay »

Hi guys,

While I am not an Aussie, I did a little research in hopes of helping you. It appears that Sharon Jarvis was (and may still be) employed at the Royal Hospital for Women. Here is the hospital's info:

http://www.sesiahs.health.nsw.gov.au/rhw/

Phone: 02 9382 6111

I have no idea whether or not she's familiar with chronic pelvic pain, but she's listed in a couple articles as the hospital's senior pelvic floor physiotherapist. If you call and she's still located there, make sure to inquire as to whether she's knowledgeable in treating pain and not just incontinence. The type of PT used to treat incontinence focuses on strengthening, which is the opposite of what people with our condition need. :smile:

Hope this helps!
I am not a physician. This is not medical advice. Consult your doctor!

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.
cam_05
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cam_05 »

Dude thanks heaps for that. I'll give the number a call and report back.
Ausie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ausie »

Hey Jay
Thanks a lot all help is welcomed. I did send some phone number contacts to cam_05, where to contact Sharon Jarvis, her name and number was given to by another guy with the same problems, I have spoken to her and she did recommend Dr Wise's book A Headache in the Pelvis :) That's great that everyone can help each other,
Now just send Dr Wise and some of his staff to Australia for a working holiday. YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOMED DOC to save and educate some Aussies :agree:
cam_05
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cam_05 »

I spoke to her colleague Elizabeth. They work on the correct principle that we tense our pelvic floor muscles and their goal is to relax them. My battery was about to die so I booked an appointment without probing too deeply. I don't know if they do internal work. . . . but I'll come prepared :lol: They only work Wednesday, and some Fridays opening 7:30AM so they're pretty hard to get an appointment with, especially if you have work commitments. I got an appointment for the 2nd January (which I planned to be way hungover from originally), I will report back on what they do. If they're good, I will forward their details to Dr Wise
Ausie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Ausie »

Hi cam_05, sounds good, all we need is Dr Wise is to teach the Stanford/Wise-Anderson Protocol to some our PTs and Doctors over here in Australia or for him and a couple of his good PTs to come over for working holiday. When you e-mail him ask him, and tell him he most welcomed by a lot of people. :agree:
cam_05
Beginner
Beginner

Post by cam_05 »

OK Ausie this is what I found, admittedly it was a 10 min google search so there may be better services out there. I think the problem in Aus is more the limit on access to these resources, they might be out there but they're not making themselves known. Anyway, these people may be able to treat pelvic pain in queensland.

http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/therapist/14648

They list pelvic pain as an area of interest, so they might be worth a phone call

http://www.peterdornanphysio.com.au/pudendal.html

He focuses on PNE, which we don't really discuss here but in light of your condition, and considering his treatment isn't drastic like others out there, I though I would include. If you're going to go down this path, this guy would be better to see first in my and probably others here opinion.

http://www.carinaphysio.com.au/our_physio.htm

The last lady, who's quite good looking, lists pelvic pain as an area she's commonly treated

http://www.wellnessclinic.mater.org.au/

It seems they have more of a focus on strengthening the muscles, but they do mention tension. In lieu of better options they may be worth a call too.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

cam_05 wrote:http://www.peterdornanphysio.com.au/pudendal.html

He focuses on PNE, which we don't really discuss here but in light of your condition, and considering his treatment isn't drastic like others out there, I though I would include. If you're going to go down this path, this guy would be better to see first in my and probably others here opinion.
From that site: "The first aim of rehabilitation is to mobilize the SIJ. This is attempted by exercises and manual techniques. Secondly, the aim is to regain motor-control of the muscles controlling the joint with exercises. Before exercises, heat is applied to patient’s lower back (SWD, very mildly thermal, 10 minutes)"

While I generally go out of my way to discourage people from entertaining the PNE hypothesis, the treatment outlined above is completely different to the drastic (and lucrative) PNE surgery proposed by a small set of surgeons in the US and Europe, and by using manipulations and exercises on the roots of the major nerve innervating the pelvis, it could be working on many levels. I see no harm in trying it, especially since they claim a 95% success rate in a pilot study.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it