Trigger Point Therapist in Cincinnati, Ohio?

Scammer alerts, reviews!
Formyfamily

Trigger Point Therapist in Cincinnati, Ohio?

Post by Formyfamily »

If anyone knows of any trigger point therapist near Cincinnati, Ohio I would like to know. Thanks for any ideas in advance.
Thanks, Dave.
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Trigger Point Therapist in Cincinnati, Ohio?

Post by webslave »

Not sure if this is still valid:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5422&p=29994

Also Jeanette Potts in Cleveland is a good resource.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
superuse
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by superuse »

Its pretty good that you got to this site without too much of a runaround. The uros/antibiotics and then eventually to Shokes and then here. With a not uncommon diversion to a neurosurgeon diagnosing disc problems. Fortunately you weren't curled up in a ball too long (although any time is too long) and the sitting waiting for calls as an emt had to be killer. If you have a love affair with a bicycle/exercise bike, weightlifting ,running shoes or karate-soccer like sports that would almost confirm the diagnosis. This, In combination or not with a fall on your ass (steps, ice etc) can aggravate pelvic trigger points asymptomatic for years, and possibly combine with a disc problem. Pelvic floor therapy can still provide a solution (put the spine surgeon and shots on hold for a while regardless)

There have been several members who mentioned they were from southern ohio, who were unsuccessful in finding the proper PT. Most were from the "Sports therapy" company local who were only really knowlegable about the standard pelvic floor PT involving Kegel exercises/ biofeedback etc, usually for women and some men with incontinence issues. This is generally ineffective for men (and many women) with pelvic pain. People familiar with Stanford/Wise-Anderson Protocol and/or internal trigger point work could not be found. At first from reading your former post I thought Shokes recommended (and knew of someone from around here), but that may not be the case. Shokes is on the short list of urologists really knowlegeable about CPPS.

While it may be good that a PT in southern ohio actually read the book and such, if she has little experience with internal trigger point work and has little experience with men (once again with her finger searching for trigger points in your rectum (the maps in the HITP book), not putting biofeedback probes outside or a little tube inside and having you monitor a computer screen while you squeeze and release -- mostly useless for our case) you probably don't want her learning on you. See how many men she has treated with internal trigger point work, ask if she finds many trigger points in men around the anterior levator- ani for instance. Trigger point work has been done for years by women PT's on women patients for pelvic pain. A minority work on men but they are out there.

The A team on this sort of work is really Dr. Wise at Stanford and his PT Tim. I would call him (he is very generous with phone time-- set up a phone meeting) and see who he recommends around here if anybody. Perhaps the local scenery has changed in the last few years. There are numeous around the country though. Proper Physical trigger point therapy even done by the best (Tim at stanford, women who have treated women and men for years) can be trying (or not), with numerous flares of pain and such for months (seems like the therapy is making it worse not better) until trigger points release and improvement is made. The last thing you need is a PT who is a neophyte but "willing to learn".

One former moderator on this site -Scoobysnacks, is a local attorney who went to California for the clinic, and was was careful to note how to do the work on himself. Had to stop bodybuilding for a few years and improved greatly (probably more if he dropped the weightlifting and sports completely). If you have short fingers it can be hard, and some have got the wife and gf in on the act. Some have employed "prostate massage wands" to get to areas not reachable with fingers. This requires proper training.

If you do a search on PT, Physical Therapy, "internal work" "internal trigger point" etc you will find guys who have had pt around the country, most referred by Wise. A search of "curled up" "curled up in a ball" and "crying" will also show more than a few hits, showing you are not alone.

Good luck
--jjf

Formyfamily wrote:If anyone knows of any trigger point therapist near Cincinnati, Ohio I would like to know. Thanks for any ideas in advance.
Thanks, Dave.
Age:43 | Onset Age:36 | Symptoms: First urinary and backside, golf ball feeling, now ok (no heavy exercise) . Major onset seemed to be with heavy coughing spell , felt "tearing" or nerve pain in rectum/prostate. | Helped By:Hot showers,sleep.Worsened By: Type A obsessiveness ... Stressing, what-if thinking, weights.
Not a doctor. -

The usual... anxiety prone programmer (my case), accountant, lawyer or self employed sitting 50 hrs/week combined with compulsively exercising on a bike,weights or running to compensate for stress. Also aka "graduate student syndrome" New email sigma556@hotmail
Formyfamily

Post by Formyfamily »

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. It is sad, but also nice to know that you aren't alone in struggling with this condition. Yes there is hope and hurdles to overcome, but we will all be victorious if we so choose to do so. My biggest complaint though is the urgency. If I could rid myself of that and work on the pain aspect that would make things a lot easier. The sense of urgency always makes it hard to relax, but I try my best to do just that RELAX. I know that with time and patience that I can also become a success story with this condition. I wish the best to all. Thanks.

-Dave
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By:
davioj
Beginner
Beginner

Post by davioj »

I read here quite often that biofeedback is of no use to CPPS. I personally have not tried it but I would like to mention that the published evidence with regard to chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome treatment is actually in favor of biofeedback. I know that dr Wise writes in his book that it wasn't of use to him but evidently if can be of additional benefit in others.
34 yrs old. Now rectal pain, some suprabic discomfort an occasional urgency. Still trying to figure out what helps. Episode of frequency in 2008 but this dissapeared for a year.