PT in New York

Scammer alerts, reviews!
Caiaphas
Beginner
Beginner

PT in New York

Post by Caiaphas »

I found a good pelvic floor dysfunction PT in New York in Times Square. The place is called Beyond Basics and they seem to be very knowledgeable. I've gone for three weeks now and I think I'm making progress. The price is quite steep ($162 a session), but after three years of suffering, it seems well worth it. Anyone else have experience with this place or know of a cheaper place in NY for future reference?

Many thanks.
Age: 25 | Onset Age: 21 | Symptoms: Ache in pubic region, lower back, and perineum; sore testicles, sore penis, occasional burning with urination, occasional soreness after ejaculation, reduced urinary flow, post void dribbling
Helped By: warm sitz baths, trigger point physical therapy, stretching, exercising
Worsened By: Stress and unknown factors
Current regimen/supplementation:One-A-Day Multivitamin, Pollen-Aid (2-3 a day), Quercetin (2 tabs a day), trigger point physical therapy once every 5-7 days, relaxing and stretching at night or when necessary.
Caiaphas
Beginner
Beginner

Re: PT in New York

Post by Caiaphas »

Any other NYC sufferers?
Age: 25 | Onset Age: 21 | Symptoms: Ache in pubic region, lower back, and perineum; sore testicles, sore penis, occasional burning with urination, occasional soreness after ejaculation, reduced urinary flow, post void dribbling
Helped By: warm sitz baths, trigger point physical therapy, stretching, exercising
Current regimen/supplementation:One-A-Day Multivitamin, Pollen-Aid (2-3 a day), Quercetin (2 tabs a day), trigger point physical therapy once every 5-7 days, relaxing and stretching at night or when necessary.
cadyfatcat

Post by cadyfatcat »

Yeah hey sorry for the late post but I have not been on the forums for a while.

I also went to Beyond Basics PT in the past and I believe them to be the best PT in the NY area. I stopped going because of the steep price, I found another place that my insurance would cover, called Duffy and Bracken PT down on maiden lane in the financial district. They are also good and familiar with internal trigger point release etc. But the sessions they give are not as long nor as intensive, but they do a great job at teaching you exercises to do at home that help. They also do biofeedback which was helpful.

Are you still at Beyond Basics?
Age: 23 | Onset Age: 20 | Symptoms:pelvic floor tension, spasms with intercourse, frequency and urgency, general pelvic discomfort | Helped By: Physical Therapy, TCAs, Elmiron (i think), diazepam | Worsened By: Lots of food triggers, stress, siting for long periods, cold
Caiaphas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Caiaphas »

cadyfatcat wrote:Yeah hey sorry for the late post but I have not been on the forums for a while.

I also went to Beyond Basics PT in the past and I believe them to be the best PT in the NY area. I stopped going because of the steep price, I found another place that my insurance would cover, called Duffy and Bracken PT down on maiden lane in the financial district. They are also good and familiar with internal trigger point release etc. But the sessions they give are not as long nor as intensive, but they do a great job at teaching you exercises to do at home that help. They also do biofeedback which was helpful.

Are you still at Beyond Basics?
Yes, I'm still at Beyond Basics, though I haven't been in about two weeks since I've been out of town. I'm really trying to be good about stretching at home and have even tried some of the internal stuff myself. A little uncomfortable right now, but Beyond Basics is pretty steep (though other places I've called in NY are more without insurance.)

What kind of insurance do you have? I'm covered out of state and just graduated from school here in NY, so I don't have a 9-6 and therefore no insurance here quite yet.
cadyfatcat

Post by cadyfatcat »

I had Oxford during most of my tenure at Duffy and Bracken. Now I got a new health plan with UnitedHealthcare, it is a POS, as opposed to an HMO, which means I still get some coverage for out of network.

I have been seeing a new PT once a week, and she is spectacular. Her name is Pamela Morrison, and she has a practice with that name on the west side in the 60's. I have been having the best days (symptom wise) I can remember since beginning therapy with her. She is much more knowledgeable than any other PT I have been to, she has a DPT, which is a doctorate in physical therapy, as opposed to just a masters or some PT's only have a bachelors in PT. I cannot say enough about her really.

Cost is an issue though if you have no insurance. . . the initial 2 hour assessment and first treatment are $360, and each 1 hr appt after that is $160. They also do not deal with insurance. . . so I have to send in receipts and such and I get reimbursed by my insurance.

Also, if you do end up going there. request her, I saw another PT there and she was not as good.

You just graduated college I am guessing? I graduated class of 07 so we are of similar age - sucks that we have to deal with this now
Age: 23 | Onset Age: 20 | Symptoms:pelvic floor tension, spasms with intercourse, frequency and urgency, general pelvic discomfort | Helped By: Physical Therapy, TCAs, Elmiron (i think), diazepam | Worsened By: Lots of food triggers, stress, siting for long periods, cold
Caiaphas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Caiaphas »

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to investigate the insurance Beyond Basics accepts. I'm currently seeing Roseanne Cruz there and I really think she's more proactive about finding trigger points than some of the other PTs I've seen. It sounds like she's had a similar experience with chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome before, so that also makes me like her more than the others.

I just finished grad school, but I've been dealing with the aching back and groin since 2005. It definitely sucks like you said, but at least we have the information and resources to get back on track, right? :)
jav

Post by jav »

I've been going to Beyond Basics in NYC and seeing both Stacey and Roseanne there for about 2-3 months now on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. They've been amazing, and my symptoms got much better just in the first month alone; I think both are excellent, and I remember how painful the first few sessions were with skin rolling and internal work, but now I'm not as tight and it's a lot less painful. However I just recently started flaring up pretty badly (as I've been traveling a lot), and I'm hoping I just made a small step (and not a large one) back in my healing.
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 26 | Symptoms: started with bilateral testicular pain, now aching/tingling in testicles, groin, inner thighs, with pain in pelvic area and lower back; rectal pain/burning; occasional burning at tip of penis with increased urination frequency
Helped By: Stretching, hot baths, PT (internal trigger point, skin rolling), bowel movements, urination; | Worsened By: Stress, sitting, travel (planes, trains), tight pants; Unclear: ejaculation (seems to immediately help, but gets sore afterwards)
Caiaphas
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Caiaphas »

Same thing here, Jav. I had a good month of little to no pain/discomfort, but now I've developed a major knot in my left hip flexor which makes my groin very sore. Setbacks are common and I was told this may happen from the beginning.

Roseanne is great, very thorough and personable. I may have to use Stacey in the near future because I know Roseanne won't be available next month. Thank you for the recommendation.
doug karson

Post by doug karson »

Hi....who did you see at beyond basics?
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

I highly recommend Roseanne Cruz @ Beyond Basics. She's great at finding both external and internal TrPs and is a very pleasant person.
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 26 | Symptoms: Pelvic pain (began w/ introduction into bladder/prostate of highly resistant strain of bacteria that was acquired via a Botox injection intended to treat levator ani syndrome) | Helped By: Paxil for anxiety, Trigger point release and trigger point injections, stretches, hot baths, Prosta-Q | Worsened By: Stress/anxiety, Sitting down for long periods,
doug karson

Post by doug karson »

Thanks so much. Doug