Dr. Kaufman, NYC "Central Park Urology", any expie

Scammer alerts, reviews!
lookouth
Veteran
Veteran

Dr. Kaufman, NYC "Central Park Urology", any expie

Post by lookouth »

Hey,
Does anyone have any experience dealing with Dr. Kaufman in NYC of Central Park Urology, I am going there weds morning, after having my chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome condition for over a year having seen 4 unhelpful doctors. thanks! Also, does anyone have any suggestions on important questions I should ask him at my visit,I've copied my symptoms/experiences from a prior post below:
" am new to the board, posting at least, though I have suffered general chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome for about a year now, I am 17 years old, and needless to say it is incredibly frustrating dealing with this. My main symptoms are as follows; Heaviness or pain in testicles, swollen nodes around abdomen, redness and slight swelling of urethra, pain that spreads to lower back and down and inner thighs. the pain is not usually a sharp pin point type of pain but rather a general 'pulled muscle' type of pain. I can feel the pain in my perinum, and often times the muscles there are tight and painful to touch, additionally when I flex the muscles there (Kegel exercises) I can feel the pain shooting up the shaft of my penis sharply. I have been to several doctors and diagnosed with pelvic floor muscle inflammation, my prostate is not inflamed by the account of my doctor (dr. Edward Muecke in NYC) though after prostate massage I generally feel better for about a 24 hour period. I am currently taking celebrex once a day and amtriptyline (10mgs down from 20 a few months ago) once at night, both drugs do very little for the discomfort and pain.
My main question is this- the pain seems to be prompted by ejaculation or extended periods of arousal or erection, when I do not masturbate or have intercourse for a week or even a few days at a time the symptoms seem to improve to the point that they are hardly noticable during the day- except after bowel movements and urinating, where the general symptoms come back but to a much lesser extent."

thanks!
Age:22 | Onset Age:16.5 | Symptoms: Pain with extended sitting, Pain shortly folllowing urination, mostly above pubic bone, Pain after defecation mostly around external sphincter, Pain after ejaculation mostly in Urethra | Helped By: Progressive and Moment to Moment Relaxation, Stretching, Bed Rest (laying down and relaxing muscles), Hot Baths, Hot Showers, | Worsened By: Alcohol (variably), Ejaculation, Urination, Defecation, Stress, Extended Sitting, Sleeping in the wrong position, tensing my muscles while writing or doing anything else stressful/intense, Progress: 65%, basically only dealing with post-ejaculatory pain, onset after about an hour, peaks for 3-6 hours and then remains sore for a day.
alprost
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by alprost »

It certainly sounds like muscle spasm is the root of your problem, although you need an evaluation to be sure. Dr. Kaufman sounds like a good choice as a large part of his treatment strategy seems to centre on the treatment of dysfunctional pelvic floor muscles- you might want to read this interview with him:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=677&p=3331#p3331

Hope this helps,
Al.
This is not Medical advice - Consult your Doctor!

Age:39. Age at onset:31. Symptoms prior to treatment: Golf ball in rectum, severe urinary frequency (2-3x/hr; 5-10x/night); weak stream; painful ejaculation; coccygeal pain; tip of penis pain; general pelvic pain on left; testicular pain; supra-pubic pain. Current | Symptoms: Urinary frequency 1x every 2-3 hrs and 1-2 x a night; mild pelvic pain on left hand side (all symptoms still improving!)
Helped by: Trigger point release; avoiding exercise; pelvic floor relaxation; Neurontin decreased bladder sensitivity somewhat. Worsened by: Exercise; frequent ejaculation; ibuprofen irritates bladder. Made no difference: Diet; biofeedback; quercetin; Steroid anti-inflammatories; Elavil.

****UPDATE*** I am now able to sit again at work all day, and can perform moderate aerobic exersise again for the first time in 8 years!!!

Please read:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=808&p=3954
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=239&p=1158
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=248&p=1214
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Re: Dr. Kaufman, NYC "Central Park Urology", any expie

Post by critthinker »

I was really disappointed with Kaufman. I went to him about four months into my CPPS, and even though the infection that triggered my chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome had been absent from my body for nearly three months, he went ahead and put me on Levaquin and Naproxen anyway. On reflection, I thought the Levaquin was really unnecessary (I had been on five antibiotics up to that point).
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 26 | Symptoms: Pelvic pain (began w/ introduction into bladder/prostate of highly resistant strain of bacteria that was acquired via a Botox injection intended to treat levator ani syndrome) | Helped By: Paxil for anxiety, Trigger point release and trigger point injections, stretches, hot baths, Prosta-Q | Worsened By: Stress/anxiety, Sitting down for long periods,
walla71
Beginner
Beginner

Post by walla71 »

I'm seeing him also. I've had this issue for only about 2 months now so I'm just finishing his Levaquin/Naproxen prescriptions. He is all business with no bedside manner. I'm going back for a follow-up next week with no improvement. Good luck.
38: Onset 38: | Symptoms: Persistent urge to void, urethra/penis pressure/ache, discomfort tip of penis | Helped By: Relaxing | Worsened By: Alcohol
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

Have you thought about seeing Dr. Moldwin on Long Island instead? I've heard great things about him. I think it's difficult to get an appointment, but worth the wait.

As for Dr. Kaufman, he surprised me when he said he believes that chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome is caused by a stealth bacterium and that's why he prescribed Levaquin. Agreed on the no bedside manner. Also, when I asked him for trigger point injection referral, he said he could "try them on me" even though he has little to no experience with them.

Really unhappy overall with my experience with him and would not recommend him to anyone.
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 26 | Symptoms: Pelvic pain (began w/ introduction into bladder/prostate of highly resistant strain of bacteria that was acquired via a Botox injection intended to treat levator ani syndrome) | Helped By: Paxil for anxiety, Trigger point release and trigger point injections, stretches, hot baths, Prosta-Q | Worsened By: Stress/anxiety, Sitting down for long periods,
walla71
Beginner
Beginner

Post by walla71 »

Dr. Moldwin doesn't take insurance so I'm wondering how much a consultation with him would run. I'm considering it though.
38: Onset 38: | Symptoms: Persistent urge to void, urethra/penis pressure/ache, discomfort tip of penis | Helped By: Relaxing | Worsened By: Alcohol
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

Are you sure he doesn't take insurance? I just double-checked and he definitely takes Cigna PPO. If he takes Cigna, I can imagine he might take other insurance providers.
walla71
Beginner
Beginner

Post by walla71 »

lookouth, I'm curious to know how your appointment with Kaufman went today. Hope it went well.
robertpagen
Old Hand
Old Hand

Re: Dr. Kaufman, NYC "Central Park Urology

Post by robertpagen »

Kaufman was a disappointment when I saw him as he billed himself in his promotion materials as this ultra caring compassionate doctor. Then he just had no patience for discussion.

He also did no follow up. This was in 2006 2005

Moldwin is a fine doctor and man. He really cares. That said, LIJ is an expensive institution and very busy. I feel fortunate he is my uro. That said, he emphasizes the responsibility of the patient and he is way too busy to hold your hand.
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 17 | Symptoms: previously: constant urgency, premature ejaculation, burning at tip of penis, pelvic ache current: semi annual flares. | Helped By: PT, yoga, stretch, keeping warm(long johns) boxer briefs, regular sleep routine | Worsened By: cystoscopy, antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) alcohol, coffee, stress, masturbation, cold
kls269

Post by kls269 »

I also went to Kaufman and got the Levaquin/Naproxen prescription after already reaching the conclusion that I probably never had an infection, and even if I at some point did, it's almost certainly gone and became a nerve/musculoskeletal problem. He didn't really listen to me and I'm not sure if I am going to go back for another visit or not.

Any luck with other NYC docs? I'd love to see a neurologist who specialized in pelvic pain. Blah.
26 yo. Pain since 11/2009. Doing much, much better than the initial few months where I was in EXCRUCIATING pain 24-7. Still have irritation, burning, tingling, and/or pain in pelvis and feet.

Things that help: yoga/stretching, internal trigger point stretches, good posture, thinking positively/not obsessing, amitriptyline (maybe), warm baths (sometimes), and literally doing everything possible to live normally and productively. I also think a night of drinking can relax the body and provide a nice temporary escape.
Things that don't help: obsessing, catastrophic thinking, most doctors, antibiotics
Things I find irrelevant (for me): food/drink, antibiotics, deep breathing.
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

Hmm, can you provide some more info on your situation, KLS?

I think the best doctor in the NYC area is Robert Moldwin out on Long Island (New Hyde Park). It can be difficult to get an appointment with him, but I've been led to believe he's one of the best. Have you done PT in NYC? I HIGHLY recommend Beyond Basics in Times Square. Roseanne Cruz there is pretty damn good (I've seen five PTs including Tim Sawyer, and Roseanne is easily the second best after Tim).
kls269

Post by kls269 »

critthinker wrote:Hmm, can you provide some more info on your situation, KLS?

I think the best doctor in the NYC area is Robert Moldwin out on Long Island (New Hyde Park). It can be difficult to get an appointment with him, but I've been led to believe he's one of the best. Have you done PT in NYC? I HIGHLY recommend Beyond Basics in Times Square. Roseanne Cruz there is pretty damn good (I've seen five PTs including Tim Sawyer, and Roseanne is easily the second best after Tim).
I initially saw Tracy Spitznagle who is a professor at WashU specializing in pelvic pain, who was amazing. She got me through the toughest period and acted as much as my talk therapist as physical therapist. She did not do a lot of internal work, but instructed me how to do it myself (she gave me a little test tube thing that could be filled with water and put in the freezer, which I thought was a good idea). After I came back to NYC I had been seeing Ann Duffy at Duffy & Bracken, who gave me a lot of great stretches and seemed to help some, but gave me some conflicting advice (for example, she really believes in strengthening the core muscles rather than keeping them loose, as seems to be the conventional wisdom for my situation).

I live really close to Beyond Basics and I'm considering going there, but it sucks that they're out-of-network and costly. My PT at WashU had highly recommended Stacey Futterman there. Can you share generally how much it cost to go there out-of-network? After all, I've got law school to pay for!

Does Dr. Moldwin prescribe anything for nerve pain? Is it easy enough to get to him from the city? I am currently on 10mg Elavil, but wonder if Lyrica/Neurontin or something else might be more effective. I have major tingling in my feet and I've seen a great neurologist, but she's not in NYC and all she did initially was up my Elavil to 50mg a day, which was really taking a toll on me. I can't decide if it's smarter to see a neurologist or urologist who specializes in CPPS.
26 yo. Pain since 11/2009. Doing much, much better than the initial few months where I was in EXCRUCIATING pain 24-7. Still have irritation, burning, tingling, and/or pain in pelvis and feet.

Things that help: yoga/stretching, internal trigger point stretches, good posture, thinking positively/not obsessing, amitriptyline (maybe), warm baths (sometimes), and literally doing everything possible to live normally and productively. I also think a night of drinking can relax the body and provide a nice temporary escape.
Things that don't help: obsessing, catastrophic thinking, most doctors, antibiotics
Things I find irrelevant (for me): food/drink, antibiotics, deep breathing.
critthinker
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by critthinker »

Beyond Basics was about $90 for me after my insurance had reimbursed me at my out-of-network rate. From what I remember, I think they charge $150 an hour for cash patients. I know it's pretty expensive, but honestly they're really damn good. I think it's worth it.

I don't know too much about Dr. Moldwin through my own personal experience, as I was never able to visit him (I ended up leaving NYC before my scheduled appointment with him). Hope other posters can provide more info on him. I think it may be difficult to get to him from the city (I remember looking it up on Google Transit).
robertpagen
Old Hand
Old Hand

Moldwin

Post by robertpagen »

Moldwin is an excellent doctor and person. Still it depends on what your needs are. If you already know u have chronic prostatitis / chronic pelvic pain syndrome then that is an expensive unneeded appointment. His thinking includes the possibility of an Interstitial cystitis cause. I suspect anyone on this site knows the coping methods he suggests. For PT he recommends Marilyn Freedman, another very nice person, who is just too expensive for me, with appointments which were well under a half hour running hundreds of dollars a session.
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 17 | Symptoms: previously: constant urgency, premature ejaculation, burning at tip of penis, pelvic ache current: semi annual flares. | Helped By: PT, yoga, stretch, keeping warm(long johns) boxer briefs, regular sleep routine | Worsened By: cystoscopy, antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) alcohol, coffee, stress, masturbation, cold
KinFin

Post by KinFin »

Has anyone come back to Dr. Kaufman after Levaquin/Naproxen combo? What was his next step? Did he suggest doing any Semen culture tests?