Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Recent advances in CP/CPPS management

Post by webslave »

Recent advances in managing chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5615772/
In a joint Canadian study with the Prostatitis Foundation, the authors surveyed men with CP/CPPS attending clinics and online on their experience with cannabis. A total of 342 participants responded to questions regarding their baseline NIH-CPSI scores, symptom improvement with cannabis usage, and side effects. The majority of patients reported that cannabis use made their mood, pain, and muscle spasms “slightly/much better”.
Very strange considering this site has seen numerous reports of exacerbation of symptoms from cannabis smoking.

One can only surmise that since the participants were self-selected via another website, it skewed the results. Note that the "majority" who reported improvement was only just over half, the other half reporting no effect (or worsening?), which means the placebo effect could be at play here.
... there is currently not enough evidence to support the use of antibiotics in the primary treatment of CP/CPPS
And yet it continues to be used as such almost universally. :62_58_40:
The authors concluded that beclomethasone dipropionate suppositories were safe and observed improvement in LUTS and pain.
No reports here yet.

Also contains a positive note about Botox treatment.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
HateCPPS
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Re: Recent advances in CP/CPPS management

Post by HateCPPS »

I feel like cannibis irritates my symptoms right away, but then after a nights sleep I wake up the next day and my mood is slightly better for the next few days. Possible thought is that it alters the perception of pain because of a slightly better mood.
Age: 25 | Onset Age: 21 | Symptoms: Pain in perineum area, bad ED, slower stream, loss of libido, | Helped By: Uroxatral, Heavy Doses of NSAIDs, Really Hot Baths/Sauna | Worsened By: Sex, Masturbation, Spicy Foods, biking, certain exercises, sudafed| Other comments: Mine started in a time after copious amounts of sex, I also held in ejaculation for a long long time after a sex break which may have contributed. Also went from protected to unprotected sex around this same time, but all tests show no bacteria. I do not have urgency issues.
HCR123
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by HCR123 »

Good find Webslave.
I can attest to Prednisone being a very good steroid that knocked out all the pain when I thought I may have had an infection. I recall taking Bactrim thinking it had eliminated the infection. The reality was the steroid had nullified the pain temporarily. I wonder if a dose now after having multiple PT sessions would be of better use. It's only a 6-7 day course.

As for cannabis I think it depends on the individual's personality and the cannabis strand. If you are a nervous and jittery person and cannabis exacerbates this, you are going to freak out and tense up. Not good for your pelvic muscles. On the other hand if you find a good cannabis strand that gets you in a good mood, helps you relax, or you are by nature not made paranoid by cannabis, I think it could benefit you if it helps relax you. I think it would be a case by case basis. I'm going to assume most CPPS sufferers have a hard time with cannabis because many of us are anxiety prone by nature.

As for this suppository, I think this is good news. Good to always find a new treatment that could provide temporary relief while getting PT treatment. Here is that study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27267961

I saw that taking the suppository in conjunction with Serenoa Repens extract was used in the study. I looked that up and it appears to be Saw Palmetto? Here's a study used for it on BPH symptoms.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21969849
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 43 | Symptoms: burning in tip of penis/urethra has mostly faded; mild pain in right testicle; main pain comes from anterior levator ani spasm | Helped By: hot baths, healing time days after PT, klonopin .25-.5mg, meditation (trying to learn) |Taking: 100mg zoloft (recent onset of tinnitus), Omega-3s, VSL3 Probiotic, Q-Rol, Zyflamend, Chelated Magnesium 500Mg | Worsened By: anxiety, depression, thinking about it too much | Other comments: sitting and pireneal and most penis pain/burning is gone from PT but just developed pain after ejaculation coming from levator; some pain from sitting too long depends on spasm; listening to Jon Kabat Zinn helps; need to de-stress my life; my PT says I'm at rock bottom and it's a long journey so I try to tell myself to be realistic about how long it will take and that this takes time so I try not to let it affect my social life
HCR123
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by HCR123 »

HateCPPS wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:24 am I feel like cannibis irritates my symptoms right away, but then after a nights sleep I wake up the next day and my mood is slightly better for the next few days. Possible thought is that it alters the perception of pain because of a slightly better mood.
The only thought here is, how long do you rely on cannabis to alter your mood? Does it become a crutch? And eventually does the effect wear out, only to make things worse for you in the long run? Using it daily to help your CPPS symptoms by altering your brain's pain perceptions might not be a good idea, especially if you aren't doing anything else proactively to alleviate symptoms. That would be my only concern. As I mentioned above, I think it's a case by case basis as to when and how to use it.
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 43 | Symptoms: burning in tip of penis/urethra has mostly faded; mild pain in right testicle; main pain comes from anterior levator ani spasm | Helped By: hot baths, healing time days after PT, klonopin .25-.5mg, meditation (trying to learn) |Taking: 100mg zoloft (recent onset of tinnitus), Omega-3s, VSL3 Probiotic, Q-Rol, Zyflamend, Chelated Magnesium 500Mg | Worsened By: anxiety, depression, thinking about it too much | Other comments: sitting and pireneal and most penis pain/burning is gone from PT but just developed pain after ejaculation coming from levator; some pain from sitting too long depends on spasm; listening to Jon Kabat Zinn helps; need to de-stress my life; my PT says I'm at rock bottom and it's a long journey so I try to tell myself to be realistic about how long it will take and that this takes time so I try not to let it affect my social life