Is CP/CPPS an infectious disease of the prostate?

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Is CP/CPPS an infectious disease of the prostate?

Post by webslave »

This is an interesting short paper that more or less summarises the best case of the infection theory proponents.
For over a hundred years chronic prostatitis was considered an infectious disease of bacterial origin and when antibiotics became available it was believed that it would probably be relegated to the wastebasket of cured diseases [1]. However, despite this promise, antibiotics did not cure most of the patients with prostatitis and with better understanding of microbiology, uropathogenicity and the condition itself, we came to the conclusion that perhaps it was not caused by bacteria or other infectious agents after all. We finally defined the condition of National Institutes of Health (NIH) category III chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CP/CPPS) by the absence of bacterial infection by a recognized uropathogen identified using traditional culture techniques as a cause for the chronic pain and urinary symptoms. This left the door open to further discoveries that infection might play a role in the etiology or pathogenesis of CP/CPPS (using other methods etc). In fact, it has only been several decades when a disease believed to be due to genetics, increased gastric acidity and stress, was discovered to be due to Helicobacter pylori and gastritis is now treated with appropriate antimicrobial therapy instead of radical surgery. Could there be a microorganism cause for CP/CPPS, but we just cannot identify it?
Continues here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5419111/
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Micha Seb76*

Re: Is CP/CPPS an infectious disease of the prostate?

Post by Micha Seb76* »

Very interesting question indeed.

I am not a doctor, just a CP suffer.
I my case, I would say it's infectious disease.

Considering the following and objectives datas :
  1. Prostate MRI shown a lot of calcifications and fibrosis in peripheric gland,
  2. Numerous biofilms can be seen at microscope (after prostate massage), biofilms are always linked to bacterial infection
  3. White cells that seems to prove an immunitary response from my body,
  4. 2 pathogens found in Greek lab (staphylococcus aureus and enterococcus faecalis) but we'we had this discussion before (see topic about Dr Georgiadis).
  5. a lot of sexual intercourse (always with condom) before symptoms appeared, it's strange ...
It just my theory but I think it's true.

Let me know your feeling if you want.

Best wishes
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Firstly, please take note of this thread:
May I post my thoughts on CPPS being an active infection?

Secondly:
  1. Calcifications and fibrosisinfection
  2. Infection and colonization are different. Everyone passes bacteria via urine. The urinary tract is not sterile.
  3. White cells (pus cells) can also denote inflammation rather than infection
  4. Probably contaminants
  5. Exactly
Micha Seb76*

Post by Micha Seb76* »

In US, are there some trustable tests that make it possible to flush out germs into biofilms ?
With just first PCR method it's always the same results : biofilms but no bacteria
I am going in circles for a long time !
I think about 16 s rna sequencing.
My laboratoryman told me "it can give good results for non bacterial prostatitis", but samples must be sterile (not through urethra which contain a lot of bacterias).
He made reference to biopsy but I know that biopsy can make CP worses !

Thanks for your advice
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Micha Seb76* wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:53 am I am going in circles for a long time !
Yes, I noticed. If you continue down this track, we have nothing to offer you here.
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

So I have a question. What's the relationship to condom use? When I had prostatitis related symptoms 3 prior times over the course of 25-30 years, each that lasted a couple of weeks. Back then there was very little information from Doctors and the Urologist of What - Why or How? Now we have the internet and information is now available. Some true, some not! But one thing sticks out in my mind. I remember one Urologist telling me that spermicidal exposure, whether used in condoms or without condoms, was thought to be a cause of prostititis. Is this where the condom use statement becomes relevant? If not, please explain?
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

There is no research linking condom use or spermicides to CP/CPPS, and I have never heard of any relationship before.
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

I did a search, and perhaps they were talking about Urethritis, not CPPS.

But what is the connection to condoms mentioned?

Micha Seb76* stated: 5) a lot of sexual intercourse (always with condom) before symptoms appeared, it's strange ...
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I presume Micha finds it strange that he has an "infection" (as he sees it) despite wearing a condom at all times. Of course, I don't think he has an infection at all.