Childhood trauma associated with bladder pain

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Childhood trauma associated with bladder pain

Post by webslave »

J Psychosom Res. 2017 Feb;93:90-95. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2016.12.014. Epub 2016 Dec 27.
Childhood trauma perpetrated by close others, psychiatric dysfunction, and urological symptoms in patients with interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome.
Chiu CD1, Lee MH2, Chen WC3, Ho HL4, Wu HC2.
Department of Psychology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong

BACKGROUND: A psychosocial phenotype of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome (IC/BPS), a urogenital condition without known organic causes, was proposed. While psychosocial variables, including interpersonal maltreatment and negative affect, were studied in association with IC/BPS, the specificities of the relationships between childhood trauma by close others, psychiatric dysfunctions (negative affect and post-traumatic psychopathology), and urogenital symptoms have not been established.

METHODS: 94 IC/BPS patients were recruited together with 47 patients with acute cystitis who served as clinical controls. Standardized scales were used to assess various potentially traumatizing events in childhood and adulthood as well as psychiatric (dissociation and negative affect) and urogenital symptoms.

RESULTS: Among the potentially traumatizing events, those perpetrated by close others during childhood were found to be the most salient features discriminating the IC/BPS group from the control group. When divided into 2 subgroups according to their history of childhood trauma by close others, only IC/BPS patients with childhood trauma by close others had more dissociative and anxiety symptoms compared with the control group. These two subgroups did not differ in urogenital symptom severity.

CONCLUSIONS: Childhood trauma by close others, rather than other types of interpersonal trauma, was a differentiating characteristic in IC/BPS patients, and a childhood trauma related psychosocial phenotype with a distinct clinical profile of dissociation and anxiety proneness was identified. Future studies should investigate whether a distinct set of pathogenic factors exists in IC/BPS patients with a history of childhood trauma by close others, even if this subgroup is not readily differentiated by urogenital symptoms.

KEYWORDS: Child abuse; Dissociation; Functional somatic syndrome; Somatization; Trauma
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
jbones

Re: Childhood trauma associated with bladder pain

Post by jbones »

I am new to the forum, yet my story has been retold countless times by others with similar stories. As a child I was physically and mentally abused by my parents and then sexually abused by an older brother until the age of 12 when I, myself was physically able to stop the sexual abuse and left home at age of 14. As with many, my life has been in constant turmoil with school, marriage, kids and now grandkids. Yet I have believed for many years that the abuses as a child were the initiation of a continuous subclinical anxiety state that has now manifested itself in my later years as CPPS. Are there others with CPPS out there with similar childhood traumas? The above study seems to confirm my suspicions.
Age:58 | Onset Age:57 | Symptoms: Initial L testicular "rubbing" sensation. Gradual increase in pain. Developed L scrotal and penis hyperalgesia/numbness. Very sensitive. Previous to this had decreased urine flow with some painful urination. ED. NO infection. Recent abnormal ultrasound of L testicle. Urologist recommended removal secondary to possible cancer. Surgery removed testicle via inguinal route. NO cancer. Pain returned x 1 week later. In follow up Urologist stated "pain in the testicle can be a hard thing to figure out!" "Follow up if needed." (thanks for nothing). Now constant pain. Fluctuates.| Helped By: Hot baths, working out | Worsened By: SITTING!!!!! | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Childhood trauma associated with bladder pain

Post by webslave »

Adverse Childhood Experiences Linked to Urologic Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome Symptoms

https://www.clinicalpainadvisor.com/chr ... le/807482/
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it