Male Pelvic Pain: Beyond Urology

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Male Pelvic Pain: Beyond Urology

Post by webslave »

Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2015 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print]

Male Pelvic Pain: Beyond Urology and Chronic Prostatitis.

Potts JM1.

Chronic pelvic pain in men has often been misdiagnosed as prostatitis. After excluding serious or acute urological, neurological or colorectal conditions, it is essential to approach these patients with a much more comprehensive criteria. Thoughtful interview and methodical physical examination can very often reveal pelvic floor muscle dysfunction, Myofascial pain syndromes, Functional Somatic Syndrome/Central Sensitization Syndromes and/or psychosocial distress. One must be aware that many of these syndromes frequently overlap. Acknowledgement of these conditions and validation of both their physical and psychological distress is paramount to creating trust and confidence in the patient. These are the cornerstones for empowerment and self-care required in the management of chronic pelvic pain.

PMID: 26717951
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Tetro
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Male Pelvic Pain: Beyond Urology

Post by Tetro »

And sadly there's probably just a handful of doctors in the world that can treat such a condition from so many angles.
Age:35 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
spencerryan1

Post by spencerryan1 »

My question is what are the names of these doctors who can treat such conditions from all these angles.
Age: 36 | Onset Age: 20 | Symptoms: frequency, perineum pain, pain going from the perineum going up the penis through the uretha and Ibs constipation. Chronic pelvic pain everyday and anxiety| Helped By: heat pads, excersise, but really haven't found anything | Worsened By: ejaculation, stress, constipation, travel
European
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by European »

"pelvic floor muscle dysfunction, Myofascial pain syndromes, Functional Somatic Syndrome/Central Sensitization Syndromes and/or psychosocial distress" - these are the key components of our suffering. I gave up visits to two of my urologists who were completely laymen in these areas...My PT is much better experienced and the PT visits delivered some success despite the suffering is still going on...
Age: 41 | Onset Age: 36 | Symptoms: Chronic pain in the penis, groin, pubic area and pelvic muscles, mainly ischiocavernosus area | Helped By: Elavil, PT | Worsened By: Stress, ejaculation, depression | Other comments: