Zinc-associated biomarkers for nonbacterial prostatitis

Latest research and happenings
Wolfcub
Experienced
Experienced

Zinc-associated biomarkers for nonbacterial prostatitis

Post by Wolfcub »

Serum quantitative proteomic analysis reveals potential zinc-associated biomarkers for nonbacterial prostatitis

Xiaoli Yang1,*, Hongtao Li1,*, Chengdong Zhang1, Zhidi Lin1, Xinhua Zhang3, Youjie Zhang2, Yanbao Yu4, Kun Liu1, Muyan Li1, Yuening Zhang1, Wenxin Lv2,5, Yuanliang Xie2,6, Zheng Lu2,6, Chunlei Wu2,6, Ruobing Teng8, Shaoming Lu2,7, Min He9 andZengnan Mo2,6,*

The Prostate
Volume 75, Issue 14, pages 1538–1555, October 1, 2015

BACKGROUND
Prostatitis is one of the most common urological problems afflicting adult men. The etiology and pathogenesis of nonbacterial prostatitis, which accounts for 90–95% of cases, is largely unknown. As serum proteins often indicate the overall pathologic status of patients, we hypothesized that protein biomarkers of prostatitis might be identified by comparing the serum proteomes of patients with and without nonbacterial prostatitis.

METHODS
All untreated samples were collected from subjects attending the Fangchenggang Area Male Health and Examination Survey (FAMHES). We profiled pooled serum samples from four carefully selected groups of patients (n = 10/group) representing the various categories of nonbacterial prostatitis (IIIa, IIIb, and IV) and matched healthy controls using a mass spectrometry-based 4-plex iTRAQ proteomic approach. More than 160 samples were validated by ELISA.

RESULTS
Overall, 69 proteins were identified. Among them, 42, 52, and 37 proteins were identified with differential expression in Category IIIa, IIIb, and IV prostatitis, respectively. The 19 common proteins were related to immunity and defense, ion binding, transport, and proteolysis. Two zinc-binding proteins, superoxide dismutase 3 (SOD3), and carbonic anhydrase I (CA1), were significantly higher in all types of prostatitis than in the control. A receiver operating characteristic curve estimated sensitivities of 50.4 and 68.1% and specificities of 92.1 and 83.8% for CA1 and SOD3, respectively, in detecting nonbacterial prostatitis. The serum CA1 concentration was inversely correlated to the zinc concentration in expressed-prostatic secretions.

CONCLUSIONS
Our findings suggest that SOD3 and CA1 are potential diagnostic markers of nonbacterial prostatitis, although further large-scale studies are required. The molecular profiles of nonbacterial prostatitis pathogenesis may lay a foundation for discovery of new therapies.

Prostate 75:1538–1555, 2015. © 2015 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Article first published online: 22 MAY 2015

DOI: 10.1002/pros.23028
Age: 30 | Onset Age: 19| Symptoms: Urinary frequency, Urinary urgency, constant 24/7 sensation in the penis (in the tip mainly - burning/pressure/discomfort/"wetness"), Nocturia, discomfort and pressure in the pelvic region radiating to the abdomen and becoming severe as time passes since last urination (resolved in 2014 by myofascial release), Stream velocity is somewhat slow and prolonged with an average velocity of ~13cc/min (and max 18cc/min) found in flowmetry test when bladder is filled with 500cc at age 25 (I always feel like I need to press my abdomen to urinate, improved later on when using alpha blockers)| Helped By: especially MYOFASCIAL RELEASE (especially in the areas of hips and abdomen) - generally resolved my abdominal aches, but penile symptoms remained the same| Worsened By: Coffee and possibly some other food as well| Other comments: Quercetin and acupuncture helped me no more than a placebo effect. Age 25-26: Diagnosed with indirect inguinal hernia and medium hydrocele at the same side. After operation many of the acute symptoms disappeared, but the chronic urinary and pelvic symptoms remained much the same.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Zinc-associated biomarkers for nonbacterial prostatitis

Post by webslave »

HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Wolfcub
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Wolfcub »

Interesting. It seems for almost 100% sure that in ppl with CP/CPPS the prostatic area has a significant ongoing oxidative stress, the big riddle is what causing it and how (I sense it's a group of disorders leading to the similar clinical symptoms)
Age: 30 | Onset Age: 19| Symptoms: Urinary frequency, Urinary urgency, constant 24/7 sensation in the penis (in the tip mainly - burning/pressure/discomfort/"wetness"), Nocturia, discomfort and pressure in the pelvic region radiating to the abdomen and becoming severe as time passes since last urination (resolved in 2014 by myofascial release), Stream velocity is somewhat slow and prolonged with an average velocity of ~13cc/min (and max 18cc/min) found in flowmetry test when bladder is filled with 500cc at age 25 (I always feel like I need to press my abdomen to urinate, improved later on when using alpha blockers)| Helped By: especially MYOFASCIAL RELEASE (especially in the areas of hips and abdomen) - generally resolved my abdominal aches, but penile symptoms remained the same| Worsened By: Coffee and possibly some other food as well| Other comments: Quercetin and acupuncture helped me no more than a placebo effect. Age 25-26: Diagnosed with indirect inguinal hernia and medium hydrocele at the same side. After operation many of the acute symptoms disappeared, but the chronic urinary and pelvic symptoms remained much the same.
Caedar
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by Caedar »

Interesting. I stopped taking zinc a little while ago because I felt like it wasn't doing anything, but over the longer term my symptoms have been getting slightly worse since then. (Although it could be the weather.) Perhaps I'll give zinc supplementation another go; it's incredibly cheap, at least.
Age: 26 | Onset Age: 23 | Symptoms: Neuropathic-like pain and hyperalgesia (lateral/anterior thighs mostly, but distributed throughout body); Pain (penis shaft, right side, when erect for long or excess masturbation) | Previous Symptoms: Pain (testicles; penis underside, mostly near base and running up urethra, sharp/burning; perennial region, dull; ejaculatory; post-ejaculatory); Urinary (moderate incomplete voiding; moderate frequency and pain on bladder filling); Sensations (cold in head of penis) | Helped By: Stretching (especially hip rotators and flexors); Yoga (especially lunges, warrior 2, and pigeon) Trigger point release (abdominals; iliopsoas; gluteus muscles and piriformis; bulbospongiosus & ischiocavernosus; thigh adductors); Meditation (mindfulness); Walking & Aerobic Exercise | Worsened By: Stress, anxiety, too much alcohol, lack of sleep, sitting at length | Current prescriptions: nortriptyline (10 mg, 1x at night; for CNS sensitization and IBS) Previous prescriptions: hydroxyzine (10 mg, 1x at night; for urinary symptoms/mast cell stabilization; useful), clonazepam (0.25-0.5 mg, 1x at night; for anxiety/CNS sensitization; useful for short time)