Pudendal Nerve Entrapment — an erroneous concept

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Pudendal Nerve Entrapment — an erroneous concept

Post by webslave »

For years we have debated pudendal nerve entrapment and whether or not the entity even exists, whether it is a scam and so on. Now comes an excellent study that finally debunks PNE surgery.

I have obtained the full paper Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Jun Anatomic variations of pudendal nerve within pelvis and pudendal canal: clinical applications, by Pedro A. Maldonado, MD; Kathleen Chin, MD; Alyson A. Garcia, MD; Marlene M. Corton, MD, MSCS,

The paper, coming out of the respected University of Texas OB/GYN department, is a study of 13 normal female cadavers. The pudendal nerve was found to be routinely "entrapped", to the point where the authors suggest that there is no such thing as pudendal nerve entrapment, and that attachments ("entrapments") are normal. This is an extract from the commentary section at the end:
An interesting finding of this study was the fixation of the pudendal nerve (PN) on the dorsal surface of the sacrospinous ligament (SSL). These connective tissue attachments were found not only on the dorsal surface of the SSL-ischial spine junction but within the pudendal canal. Whereas previous authors have noted that the PN is surrounded by a connective tissue sheath in the pudendal canal,(4,9) we found no specific descriptions or assessments of the mobility or connective tissue interactions of the PN on the dorsal surface of the SSL. This finding has potential implications in the surgical treatment of pudendal neuralgia, and it may be misleading to attribute pudendal neuralgia to nerve entrapment. Thus, procedures seeking to decompress the PN may not address the true etiology. In fact, these procedures may potentially result in significant complications, given the complexity of surrounding nerve and vascular anatomy
This excellent study throws profound doubt on the whole field of PN surgery. Note that surgeons who perform PNE surgery claim that the pudendal nerve should "glide freely". The above study clearly shows that this is not the case in most people, thus undermining the basis of the theory of pudendal nerve entrapment.

For me, one of the most interesting things about this study, other than the fact that all pudendal nerves are attached by connective tissue to multiple sites, is the complexity of the region in which the PNE surgeons operate. It's a minefield :shock: I would not want any old surgeon messing about there, truly. This is not a simple operation; don't ever let anyone tell you that it is. Moreover, the cadavers show the wide variability of the nerve and its multiple trunks and diverse branching patterns. We all have pudendal nerves that are slightly differently located and which branch in different places, making any operation on this nerve fraught with difficulty. The nerve is only about 4.5mm wide, hidden away in a mass of muscle, sinew and connective tissue.

Here is a photo of how the pudendal nerve is connected ("entrapped") by connective tissue in normal people:

The study ends with these wise words of warning:
As health care providers, we should carefully weigh the risks and benefits of interventional procedures with limited clinical efficacy and potential for significant complications. A comprehensive knowledge of the complex pudendal nerve anatomy is essential in optimizing diagnostic and treatment modalities.
I will make the full paper available to all members soon, depending on interest.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
ezer

Re: Pudendal Nerve Entrapment — an erroneous concept

Post by ezer »

I am very interested in the paper. As you know I am a victim of the malfeasance of these fringe surgeons.
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

adyxon
Beginner
Beginner

Post by adyxon »

Do you mean the PNE and pudendal neuralgia are an erroneous concept?

2012, 13, 14 and 15 I was a normal man enjoining a happy life. I had just a bit of frequency on the day time. No pain, medication, depression, just sometimes a irritation after sex, but very rare. My wife got a very bad diagnosis few months ago I was depressed about that and the pain come back again. This time I have a burning pain only on my rectum penis and pelvic area. Burning is triggered by defecation and urination and last for the rest of the day.

I have read a lot about pudendal nerves and I seem to have a pudendal neuralgia or entrapment. What's you opinion about the pudendal nerves issue? It is a erroneous concept?
Age:39 | Onset Age: 38 | Symptoms: burning, pain when the bladder is full, hesitation | Helped By:warm bathsWorsened By: TUMT, sitting , driving
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

My opinion is that it is a very rare condition (and may not even exist), that there are profound problems with the definition and diagnosis of the condition, and that based on your post, you are much more likely to have CPPS.