UPPCRN gives tick to myofascial PT

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

UPPCRN gives tick to myofascial PT

Post by webslave »

J Urol. 2013 Jan;189(1 Suppl):S75-85. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2012.11.018.
Randomized multicenter feasibility trial of myofascial physical therapy for the treatment of urological chronic pelvic pain syndromes.
Fitzgerald MP, Anderson RU, Potts J, Payne CK, Peters KM, Clemens JQ, Kotarinos R, Fraser L, Cosby A, Fortman C, Neville C, Badillo S, Odabachian L, Sanfield A, O'Dougherty B, Halle-Podell R, Cen L, Chuai S, Landis JR, Mickelberg K, Barrell T, Kusek JW, Nyberg LM; Urological Pelvic Pain Collaborative Research Network.
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois. Electronic address: [email protected].

PURPOSE: We determined the feasibility of conducting a randomized clinical trial designed to compare 2 methods of manual therapy (myofascial physical therapy and global therapeutic massage) in patients with urological chronic pelvic pain syndromes.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: We recruited 48 subjects with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome or interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome at 6 clinical centers. Eligible patients were randomized to myofascial physical therapy or global therapeutic massage and were scheduled to receive up to 10 weekly treatments of 1 hour each. Criteria to assess feasibility included adherence of therapists to prescribed therapeutic protocol as determined by records of treatment, adverse events during study treatment and rate of response to therapy as assessed by the patient global response assessment. Primary outcome analysis compared response rates between treatment arms using Mantel-Haenszel methods.

RESULTS: There were 23 (49%) men and 24 (51%) women randomized during a 6-month period. Of the patients 24 (51%) were randomized to global therapeutic massage, 23 (49%) to myofascial physical therapy and 44 (94%) completed the study. Therapist adherence to the treatment protocols was excellent. The global response assessment response rate of 57% in the myofascial physical therapy group was significantly higher than the rate of 21% in the global therapeutic massage treatment group (p = 0.03).

CONCLUSIONS: We judged the feasibility of conducting a full-scale trial of physical therapy methods and the preliminary findings of a beneficial effect of myofascial physical therapy warrants further study.

PMID: 23234638
[PubMed - in process]
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
snowbro

Re: UPPCRN gives tick to myofascial PT

Post by snowbro »

Makes sense...

BTW, I'm now about 80% improved... Diazepam 5 mg (or glass of red wine), and pelvic floor stretches as prescribed by my PT, also taking any accredited quercetin product and L-Theanine for the past month.

Very happy with the results so far...
Age: 34| Onset Age: 33| Symptoms: waxing and waning pelvic, perineal, and urethral pain, occasional urgency| Helped By: massage/distraction/exercise/sex | Worsened By: stress/sitting| Other comments: I am a physician trying to solve this problem in a systematic fashion
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

A multi-pronged approach, such as yours, is always better than just trying one strategy in isolation. Well done :thumbup:
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
changejobs

Post by changejobs »

snowbro wrote:Makes sense...

BTW, I'm now about 80% improved... Diazepam 5 mg (or glass of red wine), and pelvic floor stretches as prescribed by my PT, also taking any accredited quercetin product and L-Theanine for the past month.

Very happy with the results so far...

Is that still working for you? Can I ask what PT exercises you are using? Any chance you have a NY PT? Is there a way to talk as I was thinking of going to Toth.

Thank you
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments: