Dimdem
Beginner
Beginner

Ejaculatory Duct dysfunction and CPPS

Post by Dimdem »

Ejaculatory Duct Dysfunction and Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome in Men
Harry Fisch, MD, Columbia University
Current Prostate Reports 2009, 7:35–38

Chronic pelvic pain syndrome (CPPS) describes unexplained pelvic pain in men associated with irritative voiding symptoms, post-orgasmic pain, and/or pain located in the groin, genitalia, or perineum in the absence of bacterial infection. Many different etiologies of CPPS have been proposed, including roles for immunologic, neurologic, endocrine, and psychologic factors. This article examines one such factor—ejaculatory duct obstruction (EDO). Because EDO is correctable with relatively minor surgery, it should be considered by any clinician caring for a patient who reports symptoms of CPPS.
carld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Ejaculatory Duct dysfunction and CPPS

Post by carld »

I don't agree with this at all....

What were looking at is pelvic floor dysfunction and as a whole the dysfunction can relate to all the processes of the pelvic floor and the organs that are supported by it...

I'm willing to say that 99.9999% of any men who have had any surgery to treat their UCPPS was not cured...Because there is no cure, only management through safer self empowering ways...

Best
I am not a medical doctor. Please fill out your signature (click here) ☼ ☼ My Starter List for new members
I encourage anxiety prone UCPPS people to consider L-Theanine
Age, 44 onset age 37 Feb 2006 Freq. need to urinate. Sensation of having to urinate soon after going. Perineum discomfort/burning/tightness, pubic area discomfort @ times,poor urine stream, post urine dripping/spray. All symptoms have improved with my protocol. At the worst I give it a 1 to 2 on irritation and discomfort and frequency. Helps: Elavil 5mg for anxiety and mast cell protection, (will only take it as needed) self internal PT as needed, stretching, walking, stairmaster cardio workout and light weights, reducing stress, moment to moment relaxation, deep breathing relaxation and using a Theracane. Makes worse: sitting for long periods, stress, over focusing on it. Currently 95%-98% recovered. Stay positive, relaxed and control your anxiety.
Dimdem
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dimdem »

carld wrote:I don't agree with this at all....
What were looking at is pelvic floor dysfunction and as a whole the dysfunction can relate to all the processes of the pelvic floor and the organs that are supported by it...
I'm willing to say that 99.9999% of any men who have had any surgery to treat their UCPPS was not cured...Because there is no cure, only management through safer self empowering ways...
Best
Here's a quote from the article itself:
A retrospective review of 15 patients treated with EDO demonstrated that men with symptomatic EDO have marked subjective and objective improvements in signs and symptoms post-TURED. Ninety-three percent of men reported an improvement in volume of ejaculate and demonstrated a projectile ejaculate. The resolution of hematospermia and painful ejaculation was also noted.
Two of the four men who complained of pain with ejaculation reported resolution of the pain. No men reported an exacerbation of their symptoms after TURED. The mean ejaculate volume increased to 2.3 mL and the total motile sperm count to 38.1 million per ejaculate. There were no complications associated with the procedure.
One thing that might not be clear from the abstract, though, is that the author isn't suggesting that everyone with CPPS is a candidate for this kind of surgery. He doesn't, as far as I remember, suggest a percentage for how many might be. He talks about using TRUS to look for specific problems with the ejaculatory ducts, though. I guess this gets back to the "snow flake" hypothesis again, but even if the percentage of guys diagnosed with CPPS who would benefit from this is small, they deserve to feel better, too.
carld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by carld »

This article is misleading because the title states dysfunction but the article discusses obstruction...In the case of proven obstruction, well then yes have that surgically taken care of...But why is it titled "dysfunction" in your header?

As a matter of fact confirmed EDO...should not fall under a diagnosis of UCPPS...

Obviously an obstruction will cause the dysfunction...But I'm not impressed with how this article was written.

Best
I am not a medical doctor. Please fill out your signature (click here) ☼ ☼ My Starter List for new members
I encourage anxiety prone UCPPS people to consider L-Theanine
Age, 44 onset age 37 Feb 2006 Freq. need to urinate. Sensation of having to urinate soon after going. Perineum discomfort/burning/tightness, pubic area discomfort @ times,poor urine stream, post urine dripping/spray. All symptoms have improved with my protocol. At the worst I give it a 1 to 2 on irritation and discomfort and frequency. Helps: Elavil 5mg for anxiety and mast cell protection, (will only take it as needed) self internal PT as needed, stretching, walking, stairmaster cardio workout and light weights, reducing stress, moment to moment relaxation, deep breathing relaxation and using a Theracane. Makes worse: sitting for long periods, stress, over focusing on it. Currently 95%-98% recovered. Stay positive, relaxed and control your anxiety.
Dimdem
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dimdem »

carld wrote:This article is misleading because the title states dysfunction but the article discusses obstruction...In the case of proven obstruction, well then yes have that surgically taken care of...But why is it titled "dysfunction" in your header?

Obviously an obstruction will cause the dysfunction...But I'm not impressed with how this article was written.

Best
Fair point... "duct dysfunction" only appears in the title.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

1. Never heard of this guy; he is not a UCPPS researcher
  2. Pain on ejaculation is not a normal symptom for UCPPS, unlike post-ejaculatory pain, which is.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
graeme
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by graeme »

webslave wrote:
  1. Never heard of this guy; he is not a UCPPS researcher
  2. Pain on ejaculation is not a normal symptom for UCPPS, unlike post-ejaculatory pain, which is.

Pain or discomfort DURING or after ejaculation is listed as a symptom on here though :wink:
Age:33 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms:burning urethra, deep sore stinging around the perineum, dribbling | Helped By:when flare starts deep relaxing over a toilet to let out dribbling urine, hot bath, rubbing a heat cream on the perineum, Tens with a pad on the perineum, running, medication (solpadol) for pain. Current treatment: PT. | Worsened By:sitting, stressing over it, ejaculation, sometimes alcohol but I risk it. Been feeling a lot better last 6 months about 85% with a few flares lasting about 5 days. No longer having PT. Stretching every other night and I believe time is also a big factor for me
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

That's a mistake. Where is it so I can correct it?
graeme
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by graeme »

it can be one of my symptoms during :wink:

Pain after urination also sounds right pain during :confused: :wink:

https://www.ucpps.men/what-is-chronic-prostatitis-CPPS
Age:33 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms:burning urethra, deep sore stinging around the perineum, dribbling | Helped By:when flare starts deep relaxing over a toilet to let out dribbling urine, hot bath, rubbing a heat cream on the perineum, Tens with a pad on the perineum, running, medication (solpadol) for pain. Current treatment: PT. | Worsened By:sitting, stressing over it, ejaculation, sometimes alcohol but I risk it. Been feeling a lot better last 6 months about 85% with a few flares lasting about 5 days. No longer having PT. Stretching every other night and I believe time is also a big factor for me
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

As the page says. "Pain after ejaculation is a very specific complaint that distinguishes prostatitis from BPH or normal men (Litwin and others 1999) "

Really, pain during ejaculation is not a feature of any note. I'm talking about the "Ouch!" type of pain.
etaoinshrdlu
Beginner
Beginner

Post by etaoinshrdlu »

webslave wrote:As the page says. "Pain after ejaculation is a very specific complaint that distinguishes prostatitis from BPH or normal men (Litwin and others 1999) "

Really, pain during ejaculation is not a feature of any note. I'm talking about the "Ouch!" type of pain.
If I'm having urethral itching, which can be an occasional symptom, ejaculation can be sharply painful, as can urination.
Age: 32 | Onset Age: 25 | Symptoms: Urinary frequency, difficulty urinating, "queasy" feeling in groin | Helped By: sexual activity, ice, heat | Worsened By: sexual activity (sometimes), traveling