New study on cortisol and chronic fatigue syndrome

Latest research and happenings
kevin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

New study on cortisol and chronic fatigue syndrome

Post by kevin »

As many here know, chronic fatigue syndrome is relatively common in CPPS/IC patients and the two conditions are thought to be biologically linked.
Stress hormone 'a marker for ME'

Low levels of the stress hormone cortisol marks out children at higher risk of developing chronic fatigue syndrome as adults, experts believe.

These children if exposed to trauma, particularly emotional maltreatment and sexual abuse, had a six-fold increased risk for CFS, evidence shows.

Cortisol regulates the body's response to stress and a lack may hinder this coping mechanism, say the US authors.

Their work is published in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), or CFS, causes long-term - and in some cases debilitating - tiredness which is not relieved by rest or sleep.
More in BBC article here.
Started: Spring 2003; high urinary frequency and pain associated with bladder filling; urinary hesitancy; pubic/prostate/perineal discomfort; Helped by: trigger point therapy, Afrin nasal spray, Cymbalta, hydrocodone (small doses), distraction. Makes worse: sex.

Not medical advice. Consult your doctor.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: New study on cortisol and chronic fatigue syndrome

Post by webslave »

This all ties in with Tony Buffington's work, and therefore with Jordan Dimitrakov's work too, as well as the Stanford Team with their emphasis on controlling stress.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Viking
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Viking »

I just read the book "molecules of emotion" by brain scientist Dr. Candace Pert. In the book, she explains the science behind mind-body medicine with information on neuropeptides, HPA axis etc. It`s quite clear that most, if not all, forms of chronic pain, depression, chronic fatigue and other ailments are caused by malfunctioning of this feedback loop. And there is some evidence that this is caused by traumatic emotional events, often in childhood.

My feeling is that treatment for CPPS in the future will focus on the brain, resolving emotional issues/conflicts, etc. I think this is where the answer lies to successful treatment for a lot of people with this and other syndromes.
Age: 31 Previous symptoms: penile pain, pain in the rectum, occasional shooting pain in the perineum. Helped by: relaxing / meditation, internal massage, abdominal massage, stretching Makes worse: stress, being out of comfort zone. Current symptoms: Occasional mild soarness. www.kroniskprostatitt.com 95 % better
Jay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by Jay »

Hi there,

I may be a layman, but I have no doubt that there is a mind-body connection with CPPS. We've had too many people show up with things like Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), OCD, depression, etc.

My mom has had depression since she was a teenager, and we're talking bad. She was hospitalized at one point because it had made her physically ill. Whenever we discuss this, my mom is the first to say that the uncontrolled mind can really play havoc with your body.
I am not a physician. This is not medical advice. Consult your doctor!

Age: 26 Onset Age: 17 Symptoms: Shooting, nerve-like pains throughout the penis, which abruptly hit and leave. Testicular pain, perineum pain, burning/irritative urination, extended pain after ejaculation. Occasionally, some allodynia or ache in the coccyx/sacrum/thigh/buttocks/legs. Diagnosis: Pelvic floor dysfunction, degenerated lumbar disk, and mildly herniated lumbar disk. Helped By: Physical therapy, pain management doctor, hot baths, therapy pool, stretching regimen, breathing exercises, relaxation, distraction. Worsened By: Arousal/ejaculation (worst), constipation, panicking/obsessing, other triggers depend upon current symptoms. Tests/Prior Treatments: Too many antibiotics to count, multiple urine tests (all normal), testicular ultrasound (normal), bladder and renal ultrasound (normal), lumbar and pelvic MRI with and w/o contrast (revealed disk problems), Elavil 25mg (caused retention), Flomax 0.4mg.