Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Possible mechanism for how food affects symptoms

Post by webslave »

Summation Model of Pelvic Pain in Interstitial Cystitis

Thursday, 11 September 2008
Departments of Urology and Microbiology-Immunology, Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA.

Many patients with interstitial cystitis (IC) find that particular foods exacerbate disease symptoms. These patients may modify their diet to manage symptoms, but the mechanism by which dietary modification benefits patients with IC is unclear. We hypothesize that integration of neural signals from pelvic organs mediates the effects of diet on symptoms of IC. In animal models, pelvic inflammation is subject to crosstalk, so an inflammatory stimulus in one pelvic organ evokes a response in an independent organ. Recent data show that the colon can modulate bladder-associated pelvic pain in mice. As pelvic organs are innervated through shared circuitry, perceived pelvic pain might occur when spatial summation of individual pelvic inputs exceeds a threshold. Through this mechanism, a noxious dietary stimulus, which otherwise does not exceed the pain threshold in a normal individual, may substantially exacerbate pain in a patient with bladder symptoms. Repeated painful stimuli over time further contribute to symptoms by a process of temporal summation, resulting in enhanced responsiveness through central sensitization. Thus, pelvic organ crosstalk might modulate symptoms of pelvic pain by spatial and temporal summation, suggesting a mechanism for the benefits of dietary modification in patients with IC, as well as therapeutic opportunities.

Written by:
Klumpp DJ, Rudick CN.

Reference:
Nat Clin Pract Urol. 2008 Sep;5(9):494-500.

PubMed Abstract
PMID:18769376
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: Possible mechanism for how food affects symptoms

Post by webslave »

Press follow-up:
Some Bladder Problems Are Provoked By Colon

ScienceDaily (Sep. 13, 2008) — What's the worst that could happen after eating a slice of pepperoni pizza? A little heartburn, for most people.

But for up to a million women in the U.S., enjoying that piece of pizza has painful consequences. They have a chronic bladder condition that causes pelvic pain. Spicy food -- as well as citrus, caffeine, tomatoes and alcohol-- can cause a flare in their symptoms and intensify the pain. Researchers had long believed the spike in their symptoms was triggered when digesting the foods produced chemicals in the urine that irritated the bladder.
More: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 140809.htm
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
graeme
Old Hand
Old Hand

Re: Possible mechanism for how food affects symptoms

Post by graeme »

I ate that exact pizza last night 5 hours late it felt like my prostate was on fire . :62_58_40:

Calmed down now stupid of me yeah i know but can't complain to much as plain cheese and tomato is fine :biggrin(1):

No sex no beer and no spice and and i am almost symptom free :boese: :happy:
Age:33 | Onset Age:19 | Symptoms:burning urethra, deep sore stinging around the perineum, dribbling | Helped By:when flare starts deep relaxing over a toilet to let out dribbling urine, hot bath, rubbing a heat cream on the perineum, Tens with a pad on the perineum, running, medication (solpadol) for pain. Current treatment: PT. | Worsened By:sitting, stressing over it, ejaculation, sometimes alcohol but I risk it. Been feeling a lot better last 6 months about 85% with a few flares lasting about 5 days. No longer having PT. Stretching every other night and I believe time is also a big factor for me