webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

New drug combo for IC/PBS

Post by webslave »

Promising New Drug Developed by UC San Diego Medical Center Reseacher

Provides Hope for Sufferers of Painful Bladder Syndrome
Date: August 19, 2008

For the millions of sufferers of a bladder condition called painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis, hope is on the way, developed by urologic surgeon and researcher Lowell Parsons, M.D. of the University of California, San Diego Medical Center.

“What our team has identified is an experimental drug therapy that can provide pain relief to patients within 20 minutes,” said Parsons, professor of surgery at UC San Diego School of Medicine. “Depending on the individual, in my experience, one dose can last from 6 to 40 hours. The ability of the therapy to provide immediate relief is something entirely new for sufferers of interstitial cystitis.”

“Women who suffer from this condition may find themselves having to urinate ten or more times per day, usually have pain or symptom flares after sexual intercourse, and frequently have chronic pelvic pain,” said Parsons. “Fortunately, given the right diagnosis, it’s treatable.”

The drug therapy, with positive results in a recent Phase 2 study, is a combination of an anesthetic and heparin delivered directly into the bladder via a catheter. The anesthetic provides rapid pain relief while heparin restores the protective mucus layer of the bladder.
More : http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2008/8-19-B ... ndrome.htm
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
kevin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: New drug combo for IC/PBS

Post by kevin »

The cure time of 6-40 hours is extraordinarily short for a treatment that requires you to catheterize yourself. Maybe for women this will be manageable, but it'll be tough to persuade men to cath themselves for this.
Started: Spring 2003; high urinary frequency and pain associated with bladder filling; urinary hesitancy; pubic/prostate/perineal discomfort; Helped by: trigger point therapy, Afrin nasal spray, Cymbalta, hydrocodone (small doses), distraction. Makes worse: sex.

Not medical advice. Consult your doctor.
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Post by J Dimitrakov »

kevin wrote:The cure time of 6-40 hours is extraordinarily short for a treatment that requires you to catheterize yourself. Maybe for women this will be manageable, but it'll be tough to persuade men to cath themselves for this.
I would be interested to hear about the definition of the term "cure" as a treatment end-point in this study.
On another note, men with frequency/urgency appear to be a subset within the larger group of CPPS and eventually might turn out to form a separate group. The current CPPS definition is based on the presence of "pain or discomfort in the pelvic region for at least 3 months in the previous 6 months."

Best,
JD
This communication provides general information, and is not a substitute for face-to-face medical care. A doctor-patient relationship should not be assumed by the reader.
Jordan Dimitrakov, M.D., Ph.D.
kevin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by kevin »

J Dimitrakov wrote:
kevin wrote:The cure time of 6-40 hours is extraordinarily short for a treatment that requires you to catheterize yourself. Maybe for women this will be manageable, but it'll be tough to persuade men to cath themselves for this.
I would be interested to hear about the definition of the term "cure" as a treatment end-point in this study.
I don't know if they used the term "cure" in the study itself; I just used that term to mean the period during which patients experience relief of symptoms.
Started: Spring 2003; high urinary frequency and pain associated with bladder filling; urinary hesitancy; pubic/prostate/perineal discomfort; Helped by: trigger point therapy, Afrin nasal spray, Cymbalta, hydrocodone (small doses), distraction. Makes worse: sex.

Not medical advice. Consult your doctor.
latte
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by latte »

Hope it works for some of his IC patients but when I went to him he gave me the heparin/anesthetic via catheter and it did nothing at all for me. When you go to Dr. Parsons you get Atarax/elmiron and heparin instillations no matter what your symptoms are. That's his program and this "new" drug is not new, he's been doing this for years with a heparin concoction instilled into the bladder. Maybe its a new recipe.
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments: