Hydrodistention + Bladder Training "crucially important"

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Hydrodistention + Bladder Training "crucially important"

Post by webslave »

The implementation of HD and bladder training is crucially important for long-term remission among IC patients.
Hydrodistention + Bladder Training "crucially important" in IC
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
kevin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Hydrodistention + Bladder Training "crucially important"

Post by kevin »

Interesting. However, from the abstract it seems that this study doesn't determine how much of the beneficial effect is due to the hydrodistension and how much is due to bladder training. Most studies I have read on hydrodistension conclude that it is not effective (i.e. offers only temporary relief of symptoms to some people). I suspect that bladder training is indeed beneficial, but as someone who's tried, it's tough to put yourself through if you have bladder pain.
Started: Spring 2003; high urinary frequency and pain associated with bladder filling; urinary hesitancy; pubic/prostate/perineal discomfort; Helped by: trigger point therapy, Afrin nasal spray, Cymbalta, hydrocodone (small doses), distraction. Makes worse: sex.

Not medical advice. Consult your doctor.
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Re: Hydrodistention + Bladder Training "crucially important"

Post by J Dimitrakov »

kevin wrote:Interesting. However, from the abstract it seems that this study doesn't determine how much of the beneficial effect is due to the hydrodistension and how much is due to bladder training. Most studies I have read on hydrodistension conclude that it is not effective (i.e. offers only temporary relief of symptoms to some people). I suspect that bladder training is indeed beneficial, but as someone who's tried, it's tough to put yourself through if you have bladder pain.
Ir's another example of how important it is to read the full text of the study. The authors actually don't specify HOW they measured pain and pain improvement in their patients (the standard questionnaire for this purpose is the O'Leary-Sant Symptom and Problem Index). Furthermore, all of the patients received hyoscine, an anticholinergic agent which causes urinary retention by relaxing bladder smooth muscle and CONTRACTING the external sphincter. Anticholinergics are contraindicated in people with suspected bladder outlet obstruction (e.g. BPH). Therefore, the results they observed might not be due to hydrodistension or bladder training but rather to pre-medicating their patients

Best,
JD
This communication provides general information, and is not a substitute for face-to-face medical care. A doctor-patient relationship should not be assumed by the reader.
Jordan Dimitrakov, M.D., Ph.D.