Adrenocortical Hormone Abnormalities in Men with CP/CPPS

Latest research and happenings
mapletop
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Adrenocortical Hormone Abnormalities in Men with CP/CPPS

Post by mapletop »

Oh yes the Lin institute. Here is the website http://www.herballove.com/
He does email consultations, I emailed him about my problem and he gave an answer with his prescribed herbal medicine.
In relation to the discussion. He believes that overstimulation of the HPA axis can get "burnt out" over periods of time and cause problems with the body with deficiencies of neurotransmitters. I have tried his herbal cocktails and vitamins before but unfortunately, I had no progress with them.
Can the HPA axis be burnt out? If so does this mean that we don't produce enough cortisol.
Age:33 | Onset Age:on and off since 16 | Symptoms: Semen Leakage when having a bowel movement, perineum pain, urethritits symptoms, Itching urethra, NO Bacteria ever found. | Helped By:reading A Headache in the Pelvis. | Worsened By: sitting, worrying about my problem (Antibiotics don't help, no bacteria in prostatic secretions).
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009 Sep;34(8):1144-51. Epub 2009 Mar 24.
Elevated diurnal salivary cortisol in nurses is associated with burnout but not with vital exhaustion.

Wingenfeld K, Schulz M, Damkroeger A, Rose M, Driessen M.
Department of Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy, University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Martinistr. 52, D-20246 Hamburg, Germany. [email protected]

Studies on HPA axis regulation in burnout revealed heterogeneous results, possibly due to different psychometric and endocrine measurements, heterogeneous samples or small sample sizes. In the present study, the relationship between salivary cortisol during the day (four time points: 0700 h, 1130 h, 1730 h, and 2000 h) and burnout as well as vital exhaustion was investigated in a large sample of 279 nurses. Burnout was measured using the Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI), which includes scales for emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, and personal accomplishment. A burnout criterion was assumed to be fulfilled, when any of the MBI scales was above the norm. Subjects with two burnout criterions fulfilled (N=18) were characterized by a higher cortisol release over the day compared to those reporting only one criterion (N=77) or no burnout (N=181) (ANOVA, p=.015). On the other hand, subjects who reported high levels of vital exhaustion did not differ from those who did not report signs of vital exhaustion. These findings provide further evidence for HPA axis dysregulation in burnout.

PMID: 19321266 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Fringe medicine:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... al_fatigue
http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

See also
Cortisol in burnout and vital exhaustion: an overview.

and "Permanent psychogenic stress coupled with high antigen loading leads to gradual depletion of HPA axis, which is manifested by the reduction of stress-induced cortisol response" from HPA axis exhaustion and regulatory T cell accumulation in patients with a functional somatic syndrome: recent view on the problem of Gulf War veterans

Perfectionism and the cortisol response to psychosocial stress in men

There are many more such studies ...
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
mapletop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mapletop »

Thanks Webslave for the articles. I found them most interesting.

The cytokine-HPA axis circuit contributes to prevent or moderate autoimmune processes
http://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11155801

"The disruption of the cytokine-HPA axis circuit can predispose to autoimmunity."

This article realy grabs my attention. If you have anymore like this relating HPA axis to autoimmune activity please post.
Age:33 | Onset Age:on and off since 16 | Symptoms: Semen Leakage when having a bowel movement, perineum pain, urethritits symptoms, Itching urethra, NO Bacteria ever found. | Helped By:reading A Headache in the Pelvis. | Worsened By: sitting, worrying about my problem (Antibiotics don't help, no bacteria in prostatic secretions).
Sherradin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Sherradin »

Two years ago when my CPP was at its worst I was prescribed bioidentical DHEA 25mg a day as I was estrogen dominant. I am female but you should also have a balance of progesterone and testosterone and a reasonable cortisol level..mine were very low my doctor described them as non existent. Anyway with exercise, meditation and diet, DHEA and zinc as per Ask Walt Stolls site...I am 50% better. My diagnosis have been IC, Pudendal nerve, painful bladder..its basically a nerve issue as Elavil and Lyrica help the pain a lot..but it takes along time for the hypothalamus to calm down from years of being an A type person. I am doing the Wise seminar next month. So while all this is interesting and maybe the DHEA helped more than I thought (what do you think DR D?) it is all I think part of a puzzle and the best thing you can do is to help yourself if you wait for a drug or bioidentical hormone without addressing all the other issues for me it won't be enough.
CPP since 2005. Prior to CPP always overly fit and active. I am female. Had two natural births: singleton 1998 and twins 2000. 2002 emergency back surgery - L5S1 herniation. Then recurring UTIs. Usual antibiotic overload. Then constant debilitating burning bladder and reaction to many foods. Australian Pain Clinic 2007. Turning point was Dec 2009 Attended Wise Clinic in Santa Rosa USA.
Was helped by strict diet but now eating normally after years of restricted diet - wonderful. Helped by: stretching,relaxation, yoga, trigger point, warm baths. Worsened by: stress, sitting, abdominal or glute exercises and salicylates
Medication: Now off all pain clinic meds no more Endone or Elavil only Lyrica 50 mg as Dec 2010 just reherniated L5S1disc and had discectomy. Its taken years but I feel I am over it.
mapletop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mapletop »

In relation to the adrenal and kidney function.
Chinese medicine is based upon yin and yang, mostly described as a philosophy. Some traditional medicine teaches us that illness in the body needs to be treated as a whole.
What I have come to realize while having CPPS is that a problem that I may not be aware of, can cause problems elsewhere in the body that seem to be non-related.
For those of you interested here are a few links.

http://www.methodsofhealing.com/kidney- ... -symptoms/

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/a ... p?id=10647

"The causes of Kidney yang deficiency include chronic, longstanding illness; excessive sexual activity; a constitutional deficiency; or a decline of the Kidneys with advancing age. Some medications, such as those used for high blood pressure, will also deplete Kidney yang."
Atari
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Atari »

Is there any news about this? And what test can you do at your local doctor to check this? Hormone/testosterone test? And is Dexamethasone the only medication to fix this? Sorry, many question..
Age: 35 | Onset Age: 34 | Symptoms: | Helped By: SWT, trigger point therapy from a qualified naprapath, Tryptizol, squatting, yoga stretching. | Worsened By: Stress, not sleeping enough, sitting all day, hard workout, eating sugar and carbs in general. I'm now about 70% better with a LCHF-diet!
robertpagen
Old Hand
Old Hand

Adrenocortical Hormone Abnormalities

Post by robertpagen »

This is an excellent thread. HPA Axis variations and the related variations in dopamine are real, relevant, and usually not acknowledged or addressed.

Be well
Age: 43 | Onset Age: 17 | Symptoms: previously: constant urgency, premature ejaculation, burning at tip of penis, pelvic ache current: semi annual flares. | Helped By: PT, yoga, stretch, keeping warm(long johns) boxer briefs, regular sleep routine | Worsened By: cystoscopy, antibiotics (fluoroquinolones) alcohol, coffee, stress, masturbation, cold
Atari
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Atari »

Have anyone tried Dexamethasone treatment for CYP21A2 deficiency? It acts both as an anti-inflammatory and a immunosuppressant.

http://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagno ... iciency#H2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamethasone
Age: 35 | Onset Age: 34 | Symptoms: | Helped By: SWT, trigger point therapy from a qualified naprapath, Tryptizol, squatting, yoga stretching. | Worsened By: Stress, not sleeping enough, sitting all day, hard workout, eating sugar and carbs in general. I'm now about 70% better with a LCHF-diet!