Adrenocortical Hormone Abnormalities in Men with CP/CPPS

Latest research and happenings
Dutch

Re: Adrenocortical Hormone Abnormalities in Men with CP/CPPS

Post by Dutch »

Here's a source for licorice extract(out of stock at the moment): http://www.jacemedical.com/store/index. ... ducts_id=6

and information on it: http://www.jacemedical.com/store/licorice1.html

and on dosages etc:

http://www.jacemedical.com/store/dosage.html
garyholc
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by garyholc »

Dutch - Did you try the liquorice product after?

This thread has gone somewhat quiet, just wondered if studies were continuing or if research has slowed down for the time being pending funding/project approvals etc?
Age: 33 | Onset Age: 32 Initial Symptoms: Frequent urination Current Symptoms: The odd feeling of frequency but not much else Helped By: Not thinking about it, hot bath, red wine, light exercise, Bowen technique seems to help, getting on with my life Worsened By: catastrophic thinking, worrying things will get worse, feeling depressed, reading websites too often! Work! Sitting in work all day isn't good!! Current Progress : Since 1st Sept 08, no pain!!! :)
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Post by J Dimitrakov »

garyholc wrote:

This thread has gone somewhat quiet, just wondered if studies were continuing or if research has slowed down for the time being pending funding/project approvals etc?
Research is being conducted on a larger scale to independently confirm the findings. We will report on the results as soon as they become available

Best,
JD
This communication provides general information, and is not a substitute for face-to-face medical care. A doctor-patient relationship should not be assumed by the reader.
Jordan Dimitrakov, M.D., Ph.D.
Rufus
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Rufus »

I'm just thinking here wondering if the HPA Axis in men like us is on the fritz then what will potentially be done about it?
Age:37 | Onset Age: 35 | Symptoms: pain in testicles that comes and goes that also switches sides-trying to find a pattern as to "why" this happens/Rectal Burn at the 6 O'clock position at my anus which tends to flare around the periphery of my anus typically after defication but no perineum pain-no "golf ball" pain. Pain in testicles worsens as I sit but not always...Pain is not always present but depresses me. Pain used to be at a very high level but has subsided in time to a low level but has not gone away. Pain used to flare after sex but not as much as before although it still like playing russian roulette./
/Lack of SleepHelped By: I haven't found anything that has helped to my knowledge. Tried many many sessions of PT, accupuncture and chiropractic care but still have not found steady relief that takes me back to a pre CPPS state.
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Post by J Dimitrakov »

Rufus wrote:I'm just thinking here wondering if the HPA Axis in men like us is on the fritz then what will potentially be done about it?
The HPA abnormalities in CPPS will most likely fall across a spectrum. Several key elements of the puzzle are still missing, e.g. what are the abnormalities at the level of the hypothalamus/pituitary and/or what are the exact mechanisms of HPA abnormalities at the genomic and proteomic level, just to mention a few.

Best,
JD
This communication provides general information, and is not a substitute for face-to-face medical care. A doctor-patient relationship should not be assumed by the reader.
Rufus
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Rufus »

I've read that the following anti depressant could be effective to treat disorders of the HPA Axis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSR149415
Age:37 | Onset Age: 35 | Symptoms: pain in testicles that comes and goes that also switches sides-trying to find a pattern as to "why" this happens/Rectal Burn at the 6 O'clock position at my anus which tends to flare around the periphery of my anus typically after defication but no perineum pain-no "golf ball" pain. Pain in testicles worsens as I sit but not always...Pain is not always present but depresses me. Pain used to be at a very high level but has subsided in time to a low level but has not gone away. Pain used to flare after sex but not as much as before although it still like playing russian roulette./
/Lack of SleepHelped By: I haven't found anything that has helped to my knowledge. Tried many many sessions of PT, accupuncture and chiropractic care but still have not found steady relief that takes me back to a pre CPPS state.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I think this study may hint at an interesting parallel in people who have CFS/FM (both of which are often comorbid with CPPS):
JOURNAL OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME • VOLUME 14:3 (pub) 2008

Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) Axis Dysfunction in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM)

Kent Holtorf M.D.
Medical Director, Holtorf Medical Group, Inc. Torrance, CA

There is controversy regarding the incidence and significance of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM). Studies that utilize central acting stimulation tests, including corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH), insulin stress testing (IST), d-fenfluramine, ipsapirone, interleukin-6 (IL-6) and metyrapone testing, have demonstrated that HPA axis dysfunction of central origin is present in a majority of these patients. However, ACTH stimulation tests and baseline cortisol testing lack the sensitivity to detect this central dysfunction and have resulted in controversy and confusion regarding the incidence of HPA axis dysfunction in these conditions and the appropriateness of treatment. While both CFS and FM patients are shown to have central HPA dysfunction, the dysfunction in CFS is at the pituitary-hypothalamic level while the dysfunction in FM is more related to dysfunction at the hypothalamic and supra-hypothalamic levels. Because treatment with low physiologic doses of cortisol (<15 mg) has been shown to be safe and effective and routine dynamic ACTH testing does not have adequate diagnostic sensitivity, it is reasonable to give a therapeutic trial of physiologic doses of cortisol to the majority of patients with CFS and FM, especially to those who have symptoms that are consistent with adrenal dysfunction, have low blood pressure or have baseline cortisol levels in the low or low-normal range.

Key words: HPA axis dysfunction; hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis; chronic fatigue syndrome; fibromyalgia; CFIDS; cortisol, hydrocortisone
Full paper: http://www.hormoneandlongevitycenter.co ... L_CFSF.pdf
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Post by J Dimitrakov »

webslave wrote:I think this study may hint at an interesting parallel in people who have CFS/FM (both of which are often comorbid with CPPS):
JOURNAL OF CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME • VOLUME 14:3 (pub) 2008

Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) Axis Dysfunction in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM)

Kent Holtorf M.D.
Medical Director, Holtorf Medical Group, Inc. Torrance, CA

There is controversy regarding the incidence and significance of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM). Studies that utilize central acting stimulation tests, including corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH), insulin stress testing (IST), d-fenfluramine, ipsapirone, interleukin-6 (IL-6) and metyrapone testing, have demonstrated that HPA axis dysfunction of central origin is present in a majority of these patients. However, ACTH stimulation tests and baseline cortisol testing lack the sensitivity to detect this central dysfunction and have resulted in controversy and confusion regarding the incidence of HPA axis dysfunction in these conditions and the appropriateness of treatment. While both CFS and FM patients are shown to have central HPA dysfunction, the dysfunction in CFS is at the pituitary-hypothalamic level while the dysfunction in FM is more related to dysfunction at the hypothalamic and supra-hypothalamic levels. Because treatment with low physiologic doses of cortisol (<15 mg) has been shown to be safe and effective and routine dynamic ACTH testing does not have adequate diagnostic sensitivity, it is reasonable to give a therapeutic trial of physiologic doses of cortisol to the majority of patients with CFS and FM, especially to those who have symptoms that are consistent with adrenal dysfunction, have low blood pressure or have baseline cortisol levels in the low or low-normal range.

Key words: HPA axis dysfunction; hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis; chronic fatigue syndrome; fibromyalgia; CFIDS; cortisol, hydrocortisone
Full paper: http://www.hormoneandlongevitycenter.co ... L_CFSF.pdf
Looks interesting. Thanks for posting that, webslave!

Best,
JD
Rufus
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Rufus »

Rufus
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Rufus »

The links I posted about refer to TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) has been approved by the FDA to treat depression. There is some evidence of TMS benefit to the HPA axis.
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Post by J Dimitrakov »

Rufus wrote:The links I posted about refer to TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) has been approved by the FDA to treat depression. There is some evidence of TMS benefit to the HPA axis.
Thanks for posting that, Rufus. We are awaiting protocol approval for a TREATMENT study along those line. The study should be up and running within the next 2 months and will be based at several of the Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals. It will be posted on clinicaltrials.gov and I will also post a link here on the forum.

I am compiling a mailing list of potential participants. Anyone interested in participating should E-MAIL ME DIRECTLY at

[email protected]

or call me at (617) 919-2521.

Best,
JD
garyholc
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by garyholc »

Wish you all the best with your study Dr. and hope this treatment proves to be effective in helping rid people of CPPS. Would be a lot less painful than having PT anyway :lol: I would participate in your study but I guess living in the UK means I am too far away!!! Look forward to seeing the results of the study.
Age: 33 | Onset Age: 32 Initial Symptoms: Frequent urination Current Symptoms: The odd feeling of frequency but not much else Helped By: Not thinking about it, hot bath, red wine, light exercise, Bowen technique seems to help, getting on with my life Worsened By: catastrophic thinking, worrying things will get worse, feeling depressed, reading websites too often! Work! Sitting in work all day isn't good!! Current Progress : Since 1st Sept 08, no pain!!! :)
papichullini
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Post by papichullini »

I've been reading this post, and this is the kind of research that should be happening in a fast pace, so all the sufferers could find relief.

I can't understand why doing research in CPPS could be the end of your career, 1 -when it can saves people lives (quality of life to 1000% :agree: ) 2- When there are a lot of men and women suffering from related symptoms 3- When you can bring new knowledge to Medical society. If this is the end of your career, something is really wrong... :62_58_40:

Any news? :idea:

------

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/conten ... t/93/3/750

This study results show an increase of cortisol in alcohol intake in a mid-long term. But as we all know, alcohol does not make us feel better or is a good solution even if it worked...

I'm going to give a try to Liquorice by the way.

Thanks to all, specially to Dr. D
Age:24 | Onset Age:20 | Symptoms: Urgency, Pelvic tension, Prostate enlargement, burning feeling, etc. . . | Helped By: Antibiotic (I suppose), resting, cranberry juice (maybe), stretching, reading about the problem, supplements, D-mannose (i think..) | Worsened By: anxiety, alcohol, salt (maybe), cigarettes, dry masturbation and something I don't know. . .
J Dimitrakov
Urologist
Urologist

Post by J Dimitrakov »

As part of our compliance with the NIH public access policy for NIH-funded research, the full-text of our article is now available for free download through PubMed Central.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... d=18308097

Best,
JD
Rufus
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Rufus »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02351.html
Tweaking Hormones Might Ease Chronic Stress

TUESDAY, Jan. 27 (HealthDay News) -- U.S. and Canadian scientists say they've devised a potential new method of promoting recovery from chronic stress disorders by utilizing the natural dynamics of the body's "fight or flight" response.

The approach focuses on the hypothalamic, pituitary, adrenal (HPA) axis, one of the body's major control systems. The HPA axis uses hormone feedback regulatory loops to help maintain body homeostasis (balance of systems).

A team led by Amos Ben-Zvi, of the University of Alberta, Edmonton, say that when the HPA axis is pushed far from its natural homeostatic rest point, it may be unable to fully recover. When that happens, HPA axis dysfunction may become permanent, according to background information in the study.

HPA axis dysfunction has been linked to disorders such as chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and Alzheimer's disease.

The researchers created a short-term intervention designed to help restore normal HPA axis. This method involves temporarily reducing the availability of cortisol, a hormone involved in immune function. Reduced cortisol levels prompt the HPA axis to overcompensate and re-set itself into normal regulation.

This new model, which needs to be tested in clinical tests, was described in an article published Jan. 23 in the journal PLoS Computational Biology.