Get off your duffs and exercise

Latest research and happenings
scoobysnacks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by scoobysnacks »

Dr Wise told me the best case scenario is the following:

Aerobic exercise that doesn't cause a flare, warm bath, skin rolling to loosen the fascia, followed by immediate TP release work, then stretching of those areas, then relaxation if time permits. This is the ideal scenario, and you may not have time for all of it.
Age:29 | Onset Age: 25.5 | Symptoms: Initially burning in prostate/perineum, burning in urethra, uncontrollable muscle contraction before urinating, dual ache in groin, left testicle pain, feeling of golf ball in rectum, soarness in rectum, and muscle spasms, now mainly very mild urinary tract inflammation, burning mildly after ejaculation, some days after physical activity involuntary mild muscle contraction before urinating | Helped By: .5 mg of Ativan, Aleve (naproxen), quercetin, alcohol in large quantities (vodka and soda), stretching, walking, internal massage the perineum area and levators. | Worsened By: sitting, weightraining, jogging, coffee, caffeine in general, alcohol bothered me at first, overdoing sex
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

The study claims that aerobic exercise, which I think of as jogging, is better than stretching for CP/CPPS patients.

I'd comment that since I was one of those for whom chronic fatigue was a huge problem, there is no way at all that I could jog. Even today, it's beyond me. I've always had poor stamina, right from my youth when I was slim and very muscular. At my worst with CPPS, I was almost bedridden. For years after, I struggled with my hourly daily walks, having to take days off to recuperate, having to spend some days in bed recuperating if I'd walked too many days in a row, or too far, or too energetically.

So prescribing jogging or a similar exercise for all pelvic myoneuropathy patients, especially those with CFS as a comorbid condition (which is quite common), would be absurd.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Clay
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Clay »

Would it be safe to assume that the stretches done in the study were general, rather than specific stretches for the pelvis? I doubt they did the Pigeon.
I am not a doctor too!
Age 64, sudden onset 5/06 during bout of flu, colitis, lung and liver problems. Pain in penis, then moved to rectum. No urinary symptoms. Use Lyrica, Elavil, paxil, Xanax, morphine, vicodin, relaxation, pads for sitting, 100+ PT sessions. Sensitive to gluten, milk protein, soy. I have CFS, anxiety, GERD, Barrett's, colitis, kidney stones, one of which referred pain to penis.
carld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by carld »

Bottom line is everyone is different with this condition. It takes trying out what works for you.

An interesting thing happened to me . I went to a roller-skating venue for a birthday party. I was feeling a bit flared in the perineum etc...the usual complaint I have. I gave it a shot! The mechanics of using your legs inside to out and alternating with the slight resistance from the motion and weight of the skates completely relieved my symptoms for hours. Maybe because I was having a blast, which I did, loads of fun. Maybe the workout in my pelvis helped I don't know. It got me thinking that If I can duplicate that type of work out @ the Gym, maybe this can be something that will help. Or just get some roller skates and have at it!!!!
I am not a medical doctor. Please fill out your signature (click here) ☼ ☼ My Starter List for new members
I encourage anxiety prone UCPPS people to consider L-Theanine
Age, 44 onset age 37 Feb 2006 Freq. need to urinate. Sensation of having to urinate soon after going. Perineum discomfort/burning/tightness, pubic area discomfort @ times,poor urine stream, post urine dripping/spray. All symptoms have improved with my protocol. At the worst I give it a 1 to 2 on irritation and discomfort and frequency. Helps: Elavil 5mg for anxiety and mast cell protection, (will only take it as needed) self internal PT as needed, stretching, walking, stairmaster cardio workout and light weights, reducing stress, moment to moment relaxation, deep breathing relaxation and using a Theracane. Makes worse: sitting for long periods, stress, over focusing on it. Currently 95%-98% recovered. Stay positive, relaxed and control your anxiety.
scoobysnacks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by scoobysnacks »

carl,

Get some rollerblades, more fun, and hit the park trails.
Age:29 | Onset Age: 25.5 | Symptoms: Initially burning in prostate/perineum, burning in urethra, uncontrollable muscle contraction before urinating, dual ache in groin, left testicle pain, feeling of golf ball in rectum, soarness in rectum, and muscle spasms, now mainly very mild urinary tract inflammation, burning mildly after ejaculation, some days after physical activity involuntary mild muscle contraction before urinating | Helped By: .5 mg of Ativan, Aleve (naproxen), quercetin, alcohol in large quantities (vodka and soda), stretching, walking, internal massage the perineum area and levators. | Worsened By: sitting, weightraining, jogging, coffee, caffeine in general, alcohol bothered me at first, overdoing sex
carld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post by carld »

Ya SS, I really think I'm going to give it a shot. I think I'm going to get rollerblades, seems a lot harder, but been a surfer my whole life so I should pick it up OK. I'm really wondering what was going on to completely stop my symptoms. Does any of this make sense? Can't see my self on roller skates, but jet black blades, watch out!!! :-D
I am not a medical doctor. Please fill out your signature (click here) ☼ ☼ My Starter List for new members
I encourage anxiety prone UCPPS people to consider L-Theanine
Age, 44 onset age 37 Feb 2006 Freq. need to urinate. Sensation of having to urinate soon after going. Perineum discomfort/burning/tightness, pubic area discomfort @ times,poor urine stream, post urine dripping/spray. All symptoms have improved with my protocol. At the worst I give it a 1 to 2 on irritation and discomfort and frequency. Helps: Elavil 5mg for anxiety and mast cell protection, (will only take it as needed) self internal PT as needed, stretching, walking, stairmaster cardio workout and light weights, reducing stress, moment to moment relaxation, deep breathing relaxation and using a Theracane. Makes worse: sitting for long periods, stress, over focusing on it. Currently 95%-98% recovered. Stay positive, relaxed and control your anxiety.