Growing Range of Therapies

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Growing Range of Therapies

Post by webslave »

The list of possible interventions, therapies and medications for both CP/CPPS and IC is growing daily. Whereas 5 years ago you were basically told to take the antibiotics and go away, there are now many possibilities. This makes treating CPPS more difficult, more of an art, but more rewarding too. Urologists in the future are less likely to see you as a nuisance and a frustration. Now he/she can look forward to helping you and having the satisfaction of seeing you improve.

I am working on drawing up a list of all the latest drugs and their sideffects, actions and dosages. This will be published shortly.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
ddarcher
Intermediate Member
Intermediate Member

Great idea

Post by ddarcher »

That's a great idea Mark. The various meds span several different medical specialties. I wonder if the average Urologist recieves training on the use of these many diverse drugs?
This communication provides general information, and is not a substitute for face-to-face medical care. Therefore a doctor-patient relationship should not be assumed by the reader.
Good luck,
Dale (Psychiatrist)
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I know for a fact they don't. Not yet, anyway.
Richard.N
Sage
Sage

Post by Richard.N »

I am working on drawing up a list of all the latest drugs and their sideffects, actions and dosages. This will be published shortly.
I look forward to it. It'd be great to have it all in one document. The scraps of paper I have been showing my doctor...
Richard

Age: 39. | Onset Age: 30. Onset Date: January 2002. Symptoms (back then): Supra-pubic pain, back pain, urinary frequency, urgency and difficulty, weak stream, nocturia, (and variously) chronic fatigue, IBS. Current symptoms: more frequent than normal, but pretty much under control. Current amelioration: Xatral 10mg, Mirtazapine 30mg. | Worsened By: Stress, binge drinking, strained bowel movements, bloating, sitting on hard surfaces, jogging, and regularly - THE WINTER!

I'm not a medical expert. My comment is opinion. See your medical professional.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

This is just a start. Please tell me what is missing!! I'm relying on your input to get this right...
https://www.ucpps.men

:ideias:
Dan in T.O.

Post by Dan in T.O. »

Great idea Mark.

Two possible additions to your list:

1. Finasteride (Proscar)
Generally used to treat BPH but also used in the treatment of CP. It didn't work for me (Not on my prostate or my thinning hair). I was part of a double blind study being done last year by Dr. Nickel. Some CP patients have apparently had some success with it.

2. Xatral (alfuzosin hydrochloride)
It the latest generation of the alpha blockers (smooth muscle relaxants) reported to have less side effects that Flomax or Hytrin. I've just started on Xatral. Too early to assess.

Regards. Dan
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Thanks for that, Dan. :thumbup:

I'll exclude finasteride because of unconvincing studies and negative impact on libido.

More! More!
latte
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

re: list

Post by latte »

A few more ideas for you. Prednisone has helped me a bit so you can include that with the immunosuppresants. Tylenol with codeine has actually helped a quit a bit. I'll let you know if I come up with anymore.
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re:

Post by webslave »

webslave wrote:I'll exclude finasteride because of unconvincing studies and negative impact on libido.
A cautionary update to this:

J Sex Med. 2012 Nov;9(11):2927-32. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.02846.x. Epub 2012 Jul 12.
Persistent sexual side effects of finasteride: could they be permanent?
Irwig MS.
Center for Andrology and Division of Endocrinology, The George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA.

...In most men who developed persistent sexual side effects (≥3 months) despite the discontinuation of finasteride, the sexual dysfunction continued for many months or years...
http://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22789024
ppp
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Growing Range of Therapies

Post by ppp »

I am glad to see this post, there seems to be a sense of optimism here. I have joined almost 9 years ago, and I could tell you that while my symptoms have improved after 5 years, they have plateau-ed. I am still having pain or discomfort after ejaculation. Also, the more I have intercourse the worse this gets... But even sometimes once a week could be very risky. This is, needless to say, very annoying. For me I know the issue is muscular, or at least it is one of the symptoms. Stretching and internal massage help, but do not solve the issue completely.

Anyway, I am wondering why this "drug list". I thought not even a couple of years ago the focus was on PT and only occasional drugs to help during relapse. I decided to go to a urologist tomorrow, haven't been to one in 6+ years at least, not sure what I am hoping or expecting, but yes I was hoping that he would know about some drug that would help or that he would recommend some PT who's expert in CPPS in the area.

Sorry for the long reply, but I wonder:
  1. Any advances on other non-drug options ? I Just saw one of the posts on Ultrasound injections, the results of which seem promising... anything of that character that could basically get to the root of the problem..? (any advances, I mean, I know no silver bullet has been found)
  2. How do I navigate that drug list... I mean, how to help my urologist prescribe the right medication for me? I know I want to rule out anti-depressant, and anything that could have major negative side effects including on sexual function. As a note, I am really impressed with the success rate of Cyclosporin (Neoral™).
Age: 33| Onset Age: 24 | Symptoms: dull ache in pelvic area, tension, feeling the need to urinate, frequency, dribbling after urination, ED symptoms started 6 moths after the onset wrecking my life since, abdominal tension, tension in my thighs. | Helped By: stretching/massage , benzos | Worsened By: Mainly sex, but also sitting and anxiety| Other comments: I have seen periods of substantially less flare-ups, but now I am at a steady state where it comes back almost always after sex.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Anyway, I am wondering why this "drug list". I thought not even a couple of years ago the focus was on PT
You're looking at a post from 2003!
ppp
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ppp »

shoot... didn't see that...IO saw this on the first page..

OK, would you please direct me to a post that talks about the latest recommendations ? (other than PT)
Also this Ultrasound that no one commented on....
Age: 33| Onset Age: 24 | Symptoms: dull ache in pelvic area, tension, feeling the need to urinate, frequency, dribbling after urination, ED symptoms started 6 moths after the onset wrecking my life since, abdominal tension, tension in my thighs. | Helped By: stretching/massage , benzos | Worsened By: Mainly sex, but also sitting and anxiety| Other comments: I have seen periods of substantially less flare-ups, but now I am at a steady state where it comes back almost always after sex.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

There are no "latest recommendations". You should probably read the studies in this Research subforum and come to your own conclusions.