Perisphincteric Botox Injections

Latest research and happenings
Adam Boyd
Beginner
Beginner

Perisphincteric Botox Injections

Post by Adam Boyd »

After UW hinted at Dr. Berger's success with Botox in their press release regarding the Allen Foundation grant, I ordered a copy of a paper on the use of Botox in CPPS from the October 2000 issue of European Urology from Karger Publishers. The paper is titled, Persiphinteric Injection of Botulinum Toxin Type A: A Treatment Option for Patients with Chronic Prostatic Pain?. The authors, Zermann, Ishigooka, Schubert, and Schmidt present their results of an uncontrolled pilot study of Botox injections to the external urethral sphincter in 11 CPPS patients. All patients exhibited urethral hypersensitivty as assessed by the patients' subjective responses to movement of a small catheter in the urethra. Interestingly, nine of the eleven patients (81.8%) experienced significant subjective pain relief, with an average reduction on a visual analog scale of better than 75% at a short term follow-up.

From the discussion section:

"Whether pelvic muscular dysfunction is a root cause of pain or an integral part of the CNS failure that underlies prostatic pain, addressing the muscular dysfunction directly makes sense. It is a logical step toward reducing the neurogenic cascade of events that can feed inflammation and hypersensitivity in tissue. "
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I know we'll all be watching this research very carefully. :shock:

Thanks for posting this.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
chrishorseman

Post by chrishorseman »

Was there more information in the version you ordered than in the brief at Medline

This short version had a happy ever after feel to it and life is never that simple.
Adam Boyd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Adam Boyd »

Was there more information in the version you ordered than in the brief at Medline
I ordered the full text article for $26 (USD). It contained much more information than what was included in the abstract, but unfortunately, there was no information on any long-term follow-up of any of these patients. If you have any specific questions about the paper, I'd be happy to answer them for you.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Adam Boyd wrote:there was no information on any long-term follow-up of any of these patients.
Short followup, no placebo group, not blinded, not randomized etc, underpowered (small cohort) ... not much to build hope on yet.
Adam Boyd
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Adam Boyd »

Short followup, no placebo group, not blinded, not randomized etc, underpowered (small cohort) ... not much to build hope on yet.

You're right, this was a pilot study. These types of studies routinely precede larger randomized trials. Fortunately, Berger's study was placebo-controlled, and I'd suspect with the level of funding his lab receives it included more patients. If his results are as impressive as the results of this study (better than 75% pain reduction in more than 80% of patients), I think we'd all have something to be hopeful about.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Depends. I'm not too keen on regular, expensive injections in that area.
latte
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Botox injections

Post by latte »

Sounds like an intriguing option. Do any of you know how the injections are performed? Where do they put the needle?
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By: | Other comments:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »