AUA 2004 Webcasts

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

AUA 2004 Webcasts

Post by webslave »

http://www.prous.com/webcaster/aua2004/highlights.asp

Listen online to some of the doctors at the AUA. Hear Rodney Anderson.

(Use Internet Explorer.)
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
hodologica
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hodologica »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm absolutely baffled that Anderson, co-author of AHIP, gets in front of a large group of uro's for a quick talk about new work in IC and CPPS pathogenesis and therapy - and doesnt mention PFD? Did I recently slip into a parallel dimension or something?
Age: | Onset Age: | Symptoms: | Helped By: | Worsened By:
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Yes, I noticed that too. But I think his assigned task was to summarize the other papers, none of which was Earth-shattering or really groundbreaking.

One can only imagine what he was thinking privately. :wink:
dshoskes
Urologist
Urologist

Post by dshoskes »

hodologica wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm absolutely baffled that Anderson, co-author of AHIP, gets in front of a large group of uro's for a quick talk about new work in IC and CPPS pathogenesis and therapy - and doesnt mention PFD? Did I recently slip into a parallel dimension or something?
The job of the summarizer (which I had at the 2002 AUA) is to pick abstracts of greatest interest presented at the meeting in your field and summarize them in a slide or 2. There were not any papers presented this year on his preferred form of physiotherapy. It would not be good form to get up and say "it was all crap this year, let me show you MY research"! :lol:
Daniel Shoskes MD
www.dshoskes.com
hodologica
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hodologica »

I vaguely reckoned that there was an explanation of that kind, but I'm still very surprised, given what he was discussing, that he didn't work in one single parenthetical or passing allusion to PFD - since you'd think he would feel it's sort of a public health emergency that most uro's (and of course GPs) currently dont perform PFD screening. Oh well. Thanks for the replies.
hodologica
Experienced
Experienced

Post by hodologica »

Well I guess I understand after all, since the strongest evidence in favor of PFD therapy is still (unless I'm mistaken) the uncontrolled experience of the clinic at Stanford. Hopefully the inevitable controlled study will be undertaken by someone before too long.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Just as a matter of interest, how would such a study be designed? I mean, how would you design it for placebo control and randomization? Anyone?
Richard.N
Sage
Sage

Post by Richard.N »

Just as a matter of interest, how would such a study be designed? I mean, how would you design it for placebo control and randomization? Anyone?
I presume the 'placebo' lot would have to be unaware of what the therapy entailed and just submit to some vague internal massage.

ie. I have no idea.
Richard

Age: 39. | Onset Age: 30. Onset Date: January 2002. Symptoms (back then): Supra-pubic pain, back pain, urinary frequency, urgency and difficulty, weak stream, nocturia, (and variously) chronic fatigue, IBS. Current symptoms: more frequent than normal, but pretty much under control. Current amelioration: Xatral 10mg, Mirtazapine 30mg. | Worsened By: Stress, binge drinking, strained bowel movements, bloating, sitting on hard surfaces, jogging, and regularly - THE WINTER!

I'm not a medical expert. My comment is opinion. See your medical professional.