webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Pain Article in January 2004 issue of Scientific American

Post by webslave »

NEUROLOGY

Aching Atrophy: More than unpleasant, chronic pain shrinks the brain
By Lisa Melton

An occasional headache is a nuisance, but severe, unrelenting pain can blight one's existence. Scientists have now learned that chronic pain, which often leads to anxiety and depression, can also effect neurological changes. It can shrink the brain and impair one of the most valuable mental functions: the ability to make good decisions.

Pain is a defense system that indicates when something is wrong, comments Marshall Devor, a pioneer in pain research at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "When there is a persistent tissue disorder or there has been injury to the nerves, it's like an alarm that is broken. Pain becomes a disease in its own right," Devor points out..
For copyright reasons we cannot quote more. This interesting article shows how chronic pain seems to atrophy parts of the brain. Pain signals can lay siege to the entire nervous system. The article also mentions CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome).
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
Richard.N
Sage
Sage

Post by Richard.N »

How very frightening. I for one am off out to buy the magazine. Just that little snippet explains a lot though. I find the 'takes over the nervous system bit' especially applicable. Thanks Mark.
Richard

Age: 39. | Onset Age: 30. Onset Date: January 2002. Symptoms (back then): Supra-pubic pain, back pain, urinary frequency, urgency and difficulty, weak stream, nocturia, (and variously) chronic fatigue, IBS. Current symptoms: more frequent than normal, but pretty much under control. Current amelioration: Xatral 10mg, Mirtazapine 30mg. | Worsened By: Stress, binge drinking, strained bowel movements, bloating, sitting on hard surfaces, jogging, and regularly - THE WINTER!

I'm not a medical expert. My comment is opinion. See your medical professional.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Interesting quote, thank you webslave.

I'd just like to make a quick comment. Many people who read this forum also suffer from anxiety and depression of varying degrees. It's important that those suffering from severe anxiety don't take the quote the wrong way. A few years back when my anxiety was at its worst that quote would have sent me into an irrational fear.

So for those of you who may be worried about your chronic pain harming your brain, just remember that David Wise, one of the "A Headache in the Pelvis" authors suffered pain for 22 years and his brain is certainly not impaired :)

I in no way mean to detract from webslave's informative post, I just felt I should try and make sure the anxiety-prone among us take it in the correct objective manner.
Richard.N
Sage
Sage

Post by Richard.N »

It's important that those suffering from severe anxiety don't take the quote the wrong way
Good point. I didn't stop to think, but that quote would have sent me even further over the edge this time last year. Eager to read the whole article when it hits newsagents in the UK though.

My first reaction when I reda the quote was one of vindication though. I kind of feel like it wasn't my fault that I got into such a mess when I was really bad. I had been thinking I sort of over reacted :-D
Richard

Age: 39. | Onset Age: 30. Onset Date: January 2002. Symptoms (back then): Supra-pubic pain, back pain, urinary frequency, urgency and difficulty, weak stream, nocturia, (and variously) chronic fatigue, IBS. Current symptoms: more frequent than normal, but pretty much under control. Current amelioration: Xatral 10mg, Mirtazapine 30mg. | Worsened By: Stress, binge drinking, strained bowel movements, bloating, sitting on hard surfaces, jogging, and regularly - THE WINTER!

I'm not a medical expert. My comment is opinion. See your medical professional.