May I post my thoughts on CPPS being an active infection?

New here? Please read before posting questions
MastCells
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

May I post my thoughts on CPPS being an active infection?

Post by MastCells » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:56 pm

Many hypotheses have been formulated in attempts to explain the cause of CPPS/PM. This forum welcomes discussion of all of them, except for the hypothesis that CPPS is an active infection, which has been disproved by recent research.

So please, if you would like to discuss bacteria, fungi, STDs, etc., go elsewhere. Everyone else, welcome to our forum!

Basic info about bacteria (registration required): viewtopic.php?t=1095

Bacterial prostatitis can be discussed at other forums, such as Prostatitis-Forum.com
This is not medical advice. Please consult your physician.

webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Just for reference for those men who think they are indeed infected, I post here the words of a man who does actually have a chronic bacterial infection. Compare yourself to him and see how you measure up:
I have chronic bacterial prostatitis that responds well to antibiotics. ... [T]he doctor will express some prostate fluid and run a culture to determine the bug and prescribe an appropriate antibiotic. My bug has consistently been shown to be E-coli.

That being said, my symptoms usually start with increased frequency of urination, burning and pain on urination, and pus discharge. But no pain other than that and it usually goes away after a few days on the antibiotics. I continue the antibiotics for 30 days which is well after the symptoms have disappeared. I can usually expect a relapse in 6 to 12 months. ... This has been going on for more than 30 years. .... My worst experience a number of years ago was when I thought I would tough it out and see what happened. The pain got excruciating, testicles inflamed, bloody discharge, high fever. But this responded well to antibiotics and I haven't tried to tough it out again after that experience. I know when it starts and go on antibiotics right away.

I know that guys who have chronic pelvic pain syndrome may scoff at what I say and I know that they are in the majority. I really don't know what they are going through but then, they don't know my experience either.
There is nothing to be gained from allowing men to discuss theories that are disproved, such as active infection causing CPPS. That is the same as having a forum on evolution and allowing members to argue endlessly about creationism. We have to move with the times and recognize research.