May I post my thoughts on CPPS as an active infection?

New here? Please read
MastCells
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

May I post my thoughts on CPPS as an active infection?

Post by MastCells »

Many hypotheses have been formulated in attempts to explain the cause of Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome and Painful Bladder Syndrome. This forum welcomes discussion of all of them, except for the hypothesis that these conditions are the result of an active infection, which has been disproved by recent research.

However, if you would like to discuss bacteria, fungi, STDs, etc., we have created a separate subforum for that purpose, so join up and welcome to our forum!

Basic info about bacteria (registration required): https://www.ucpps.men/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1095
This is not medical advice. Please consult your physician.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

Just for reference for those men who think they are indeed infected, I post here the words of a man who does actually have a chronic bacterial infection. Compare yourself to him and see how you measure up:
I have chronic bacterial prostatitis that responds well to antibiotics. ... The doctor will express some prostate fluid and run a culture to determine the bug and prescribe an appropriate antibiotic. My bug has consistently been shown to be E-coli.

That being said, my symptoms usually start with increased frequency of urination, burning and pain on urination, and pus discharge. But no pain other than that and it usually goes away after a few days on the antibiotics. I continue the antibiotics for 30 days which is well after the symptoms have disappeared. I can usually expect a relapse in 6 to 12 months. ... This has been going on for more than 30 years. .... My worst experience a number of years ago was when I thought I would tough it out and see what happened. The pain got excruciating, testicles inflamed, bloody discharge, high fever. But this responded well to antibiotics and I haven't tried to tough it out again after that experience. I know when it starts and go on antibiotics right away.

I know that guys who have chronic pelvic pain syndrome may scoff at what I say and I know that they are in the majority. I really don't know what they are going through but then, they don't know my experience either
So here are the key points to look for in chronic infection:
  1. Relapsing UTI picture (dysuria [painful urination], discharge)

2. Consistently identifiable bug

3. Generally no pain unless accompanied by fever and discharge
There is nothing to be gained from trying to equate or confuse CBP and UCPPS. The discussions about both conditions are kept separately here.
Chronic bacterial prostatitis (CBP) is characterised by recurrent infections with documented positive cultures of expressed prostatic secretions. It is asymptomatic until the patient has a urinary tract infection with associated symptoms such as suprapubic, lower back, or perineal pain, with or without mild urgency and increased frequency of urination and dysuria. However, it will be asymptomatic between acute infective episodes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4551133/
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: May I post my thoughts on CPPS being an active infection?

Post by webslave »

Sensitive diagnostic tests now demonstrate that healthy urinary tracts host a ubiquitous, complex microbial community. Recognition of this microbiome, largely undetectable using standard agar-based cultures, offers a new perspective on "UTI." Everyone is bacteriuric. From this perspective, most people who are treated for a "UTI" would probably be better off without treatment.
From "Urinary Tract Infection"—Requiem for a Heavyweight"
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/887109 (free registration required)

I often get questions from members about whether or not the new DNA and PCR-type supersensitive tests should be trusted when looking for infection. Whether or not you have an infection is traditionally determined by the number of organisms they find. If the urine, for example, is teeming with E. coli, then you can safely say there is a UTI. But if you ignore the fact that a patient has no bacteria — or low counts of bacteria — in his fluids, and instead do highly sophisticated searches for the tiniest genetic traces of any bacterium, you will find those traces, in almost all people, including healthy people. You can then proclaim "Infection!", even though there is no infection, only a presence.

That's why the extended “7 day” culture tests are such a scam, because even one solitary innocent bacterium will breed up into a vast colony in that time, suggesting infection where none exists.

Our bowels, for example, are full of bacteria that can do us great harm (e.g. Clostridium difficile), but they are kept in check by other bacteria. You can find these pathogens in the bowel, but they are not "infections".

The paper cited above makes the point that the urethra, prostate, bladder are part of the skin surface:
The urine-bearing urinary tract extends without interruption from Bowman's capsule [kidney] to the urethral orifice, essentially a part of the body surface. Continuous production of urine presents perineal and ascending microbes with a reliable supply of nutrition. The biological plausibility of a sterile urinary tract is quite low.
As such, we should not expect our urethras, bladders or prostates to be sterile.
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it