IC Diet does help patients

Latest research and happenings
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

IC Diet does help patients

Post by webslave »

In females anyway ... alleviated the symptoms of IC/BPS within 3 months and continued clinical efficacy for at least 1 year.
The following food items were removed from or restricted in the diet of patients: tomatoes, tomato products, soybean, tofu product, spices, excessive potassium, citrus, high-acidity-inducing substances
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28435032

In males:
47.4% reported that the consumption of certain comestibles aggravated their symptoms, with the most aggravating being spicy foods, coffee, hot peppers, alcoholic beverages, tea, and chili.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23978369/
HAS THIS SITE HELPED YOU?
Say Thanks! by making a small donation
PayPal link at end of page ↓
Please fill out your signature, click here for how to do it
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Re: IC Diet does help patients

Post by webslave »

Follow-up:
The following food items were removed from or restricted in the diet of patients: tomatoes, tomato products, soy, tofu product (seasoning was acceptable), spices (pepper, curry powder, mustard, horseradish, etc.), excessive potassium, citrus, high-acidity-inducing substances (caffeine, carbonate, and citric acid), etc
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28740049

Also note that for those with IC-variant pelvic pain, the most effective treatments reported by patients (not trials or studies) are opioids, phenazopyridine, and alkalizing agents (e.g. Prelief, potassium citrate etc), with amitriptyline and antihistamines reported as moderately effective.
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

I've looked back through the forums and other members have reported flares from:
  1. Coffees and Teas (I would include chocolate here too, as it can be quite high in caffeine)
  2. Cranberry & Other Fruit Juices
  3. Carbonated beverages
  4. Tomato Products
  5. Multivitamins (esp Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) and Vitamin B6) **
  6. Tobacco
** - Regarding number 5 above, multivitamins are acidic. Try to obtain low-acid formulations.

Also avoid the preservative sodium benzoate, which many men find irritates the bladder / prostate area.

And think about a gluten free diet:
https://www.ucpps.men/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9317
ChgoGuy
Old Hand
Old Hand

Post by ChgoGuy »

webslave wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm
Also avoid sodium benzoate, which many men find irritates the bladder / prostate area.
Is it me, or is sodium benzoate in just about everything today?
Age: 52 | Onset Age:49 (but I may have had warning signs 25 yrs earlier)| Symptoms: Pretty much all the usual suspects. Frequency, urgency, inability to always empty, burning and numbing uretheral, penile & perineum pain. Frequent urination at night.| Helped By: Internal PT. Myrbetriq helps but is by no means great. TENS to help sleep, and hand held massages of the lower back, hips and buttocks. Standing and physical labor help. Stretches and hot baths. Occasionally use gel iced pad on the perineum. Worsened By: Sitting (being sedentary), driving, sex, bowel movements, tight clothing and underwear. | Other comments: Currently trying L-Theanine
webslave
Maintenance
Maintenance

Post by webslave »

One more warning: avoid high salt foods (e.g. sauces, salty soups, commercially packaged foods, cheeses etc). Salt is a known bladder irritant that can exacerbate LUTS (lower urinary tract symptoms), cause nocturia and frequent daytime urination.
GGGOz
Beginner
Beginner

Post by GGGOz »

Didn't realize that salt was a potential issue. Thanks for the info. It seems like hardly any seasoning is safe during a flare..
Age: 27 | Onset Age: 24| Symptoms: Pain while sitting, burning during urination during flares, golfball in rectum type tightness, pain after sex occasionally | Helped By: Clean diet, Quercetin, Relaxing, Limited time sitting| Worsened By: Sitting all day, Alcohol, sugar, other acidic foods| Other comments:
jtaylor_bat

Post by jtaylor_bat »

I also observed this with salt. Yesterday I had a pretty salty soup and pretty soon afterwards, I felt slight pain at the tip of my penis. Now I know salt could have been the cause of this. Thanks for this tip.
User-CPPS
Experienced
Experienced

Post by User-CPPS »

So I also should stop green tea?

Admin comment: Yes, it contains caffeine
Symptoms: pain and discomfort perineum, a little bit while sitting in the right half of the scrotum. Sometimes dual stream while urinating. While ejaculating, not all shoots outside, some stays and flows outside with time (Without medication very painful).
Diagnosis: have seen several urologists in my life, have done any possible and pain creating diagnosis could not help me ever. Life was hopeful after googling the Stanford/Wise-Anderson Protocol in early 2008, then every ache started making sense./ Hemorrhoids: they stress my prostate when I have a Hemorrhoid flare!
Helped By: Physical therapy, keeping myself warm, hatha yoga, stretching, walking, relaxation, distraction, Tadalafil 5 mg
Worsened By: Constipation, Fear or OCD "flare up", sitting and not doing any kind of "motion", too much tension in media or life, caffeine and acidy food
Prior Treatments: Antibiotics, Tamsulosin, Lyrica, Gabapentin, Tylenol
User-CPPS
Experienced
Experienced

Post by User-CPPS »

Darn. I stopped coffee for almost a year but I drank green tea to combat my fatigue. Can’t you counteract the bad effects of caffeine with something?

Admin comment: No. People generally resist stopping caffeine due to addiction, but if you keep using it, your bladder lining cannot heal.
Symptoms: pain and discomfort perineum, a little bit while sitting in the right half of the scrotum. Sometimes dual stream while urinating. While ejaculating, not all shoots outside, some stays and flows outside with time (Without medication very painful).
Diagnosis: have seen several urologists in my life, have done any possible and pain creating diagnosis could not help me ever. Life was hopeful after googling the Stanford/Wise-Anderson Protocol in early 2008, then every ache started making sense./ Hemorrhoids: they stress my prostate when I have a Hemorrhoid flare!
Helped By: Physical therapy, keeping myself warm, hatha yoga, stretching, walking, relaxation, distraction, Tadalafil 5 mg
Worsened By: Constipation, Fear or OCD "flare up", sitting and not doing any kind of "motion", too much tension in media or life, caffeine and acidy food
Prior Treatments: Antibiotics, Tamsulosin, Lyrica, Gabapentin, Tylenol